1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Plug a network switch into powerline adapter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dandukem, Nov 27, 2009.

1. dandukem

dandukem New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I'm using a DirecTV powerline adapter for my HR-700 in my basement. Can I plug a network switch into that powerline adapter and then plug the HR-700 and other devices into the switch so that I can have multiple networked devices at that location?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Did you check to see if your powerline bridge already has multiple outs? I ask because some of them like the Belkin that I use have 3 outs built in.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The Directv adapters only have a single ethernet port and yes, you can use a switch with it to connect additional devices.

4. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Sorry didnt catch that part.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Just to confirm, yes you can. Look at the powerline adapters as just being a network cable from point A to B, you can setup regular network equipment on either side just like you would with a normal network run.

6. blade

blade AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    The HR21/22 has an input/output port on it to share 1 internet connection (if that is all you need)

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually that is not completely accurate. While it is possible to use the second port for a second device, DIRECTV recommends that you not do so.

8. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Legend

Oct 3, 2007
    Why is that? I just received a HR22 2 days ago (D* swapped it our for a dead HR20) - was going to invest in a switch to allow the Powerline to connect both DVR & Bluray player.

Would this cause issues w/ the HR22, or does D* just not want us using this I/O option as a "free" ethernet switch to connect a 2nd device?

9. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Just be aware too, that the devices plugged into the switch will all share the total bandwith of your powerline connection. So if your connection is 80 MB and you have 5 devices sharing it you could notice problems.

10. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Legend

Oct 3, 2007
    For me, just the HR22 & Panny BD player - neither would be accessing the 'net @ the same time (BD player would be off when watching D* anyway & vice versa).

Anyone see an issue using the 2nd ethernet port on the HR22 to connect my BD player for the occasional update/BD Live function? Got the extra cable, just don't own a real switch.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    They don't recommend it because they won't offer support for it. So people do use it and it works fine. For those that have problems they get told it's not supported. Much like external HD's.