1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pnp whirring sound

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by mattdenis, Jul 20, 2002.

1. mattdenis

mattdenis New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Is it normal for the sony pnp to make a whirring sound (like some portable cd players)? I'm talking about from the pnp receiver itself, not the speakers or stereo system.
    Thanks

2. PeterB

PeterB Legend

Jul 25, 2002
    Just got some demo units in, there is a small fan inside the unit. Thats likely where your whiring is coming from.

3. pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd Legend

Jun 5, 2002
    This is the reason I don't like the Sony Units. I originally had one and not only did the fan make noise, it also bled RF noise into the line out... so the fan noise was amplified! "The reason I tried the sony was that I have AIWA CDC-MP3 units in both of my cars with the line-in feature, so I could move it between cars... but had to give up on that idea and returned the sony units. I was told that the fan noise was a common return.

It's 9 months later, and I just installed a Pioneer Unit (It was offered to me for only $99 including Antenna and Activation!), and it's great! (XM903), using the RF, but I'm considering upgrading to a Pioneer head unit (although sound quality is quite good!) in the future. No noises, and installation was quite easy... but can't move it around like the Sony... I wish Pioneer would make a unit like the Sony. I've always thought of Pioneer being higher qulaity than Sony.

4. SOCAL XMER

SOCAL XMER Cool Member

Oct 11, 2002
    I have just learned to live with the fan noise.:rolleyes:

5. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    The new SkyFi has no fans, so totally quiet operation. :)

6. SOCAL XMER

SOCAL XMER Cool Member

Oct 11, 2002
    The thing with skyfi is it looks like it is cheaply put together.:scratch:

7. PeterB

PeterB Legend

Jul 25, 2002
    Funny, I fell that way about EVERYTHING Sony makes.