1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pole Spinning in concrete.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by drterb, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1 of 17
    drterb

drterb New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    When D* first installed my Slimline this past summer, they needed to mount a new pole since the Slimline requires a 2" diameter pole (I had used a 1 1/2 inch pole with my 3 lnb dish that I self mounted with concrete). I had assumed the installer would properly secure the pole to ensure it was plumb, couldn't move, etc. I came home from work one evening to find my dish pointed 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Someone walking past my dish thought it would be funny to mess with it. :mad: I noticed that the pole could easily be spun in the hole and even be pulled out and pushed back and forth in the hole. Apparently he only dug a 5ft pole 1ft into the ground. I've been dealing with the dish moving all summer and into the fall. I hammered a couple of small screwdrivers and pieces of wood into the hole to help stabilize it. On Saturday, I was at a hardware store for unrelated projects and walked past some 80 pound bags of Quikrete and decided to pick them up to finally mount the pole in concrete.

I was running out of light on Saturday, so I just followed the pole mounting instructions on the back of the Quikrete bag instead of coming on here to get some suggestions. As a result, I didn't add anything to the bottom of the pole to make it non-uniform (i.e. U-bolt, drill a bolt into the bottom). Now the pole spins in the concrete fairly easily and the ground is about to freeze for the winter. Fortunately, it is plumb so I don't have a problem there.

Since I'm an idiot and rushed the project, is there anything I can do to prevent the pole from spinning without cracking up the concrete and repouring?? Would a concrete caulk sealant around the base work?? Or am I screwed for the winter??

I was also thinking of getting another 2" pole and putting it over the top of my 1 1/2" pole and then securing it with bolts so the 2" pole doesn't spin.

Thanks in advance....

2. Dec 1, 2008 #2 of 17
    curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    chip a groove or slot next to the pole big enough to drive a small spike into the pole, then pour cement into the hole or groove.

3. Dec 1, 2008 #3 of 17
    wolfman730

wolfman730 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SKY1101

With this adapter you should be able to use your old post.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #4 of 17
    Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    redo it drill screws and a small plate on the bottom

5. Dec 1, 2008 #5 of 17
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Here is a temporary fix that should hold you over til spring,,, go to Home Depot and get some of the small wooden wedges that are used for leveling cabinets. Put 2 or 3 around the pole to keep it from spinning, just pound them in between the pole and the concrete.

6. Dec 1, 2008 #6 of 17
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You could also thread a Tapcon between the pipe and the concrete, would take some force, but should be quite secure.

7. Dec 1, 2008 #7 of 17
    jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Maybe a make shift guy wire... tap some screws onto the pole put some spikes in the ground and tie them tight with wire so the pole wont spin.....

8. Dec 1, 2008 #8 of 17
    stogie5150

stogie5150 Godfather

Feb 21, 2006
    Drill a hole through the pipe just above ground level, put your anti-spin bolt through the pipe, then make yourself a 2X2 feet square concrete form out of 2X6 lumber, dig out a little bit around your existing concrete, put the form around the pipe, and pour the form full of fresh concrete.

I did that for a FTA dish pole and it stopped it from turning. :)

I have attached two pics of a recent c-band pole I did, I didn't have the problem you had, but it will be a good example. What you want it to look like is what I did in the two pics. First one is before, last one is after the form was removed.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

9. Dec 2, 2008 #9 of 17
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    4"or 5" 90deg bracket at base of pole. 2 tapcon screws through one side into the concrete and 2 into the pole. You could do 2 or three for more strength if you want, but one should do the trick.

10. drterb

drterb New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

I actually thought of this one late last night. I will try using only one, if it needs a second, then I'll add it. I will be doing this on Thursday night. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again....

11. satjoe

satjoe AllStar

Oct 28, 2008
    As an installer I use quick set concrete, it has calcuim in it to warm the concrete when you add water this will prevent the concrete from freezing. Now for the pole. No screws needed, they will just rust out. Take a BFG hammer or a vise and put a flat on the bottom of the pole. square peg in a round hole. works perfect every time.

GOOD LUCK

12. dpfaunts

dpfaunts Godfather

Oct 17, 2006
    If you can pull the pole up some gorilla/epoxy glue on the pole and in the hole will work as well. Might be a "quicker" fix

13. DJTheC

DJTheC AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    I use a 3" lag and put a spare footer on one end after drilling through. That end obviously goes in the hole. I usually do more pole mounts than others.

14. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    That's one long lag. :lol:

15. DJTheC

DJTheC AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Bad keyboard, anywho a 3 footer would help with the spinning, but the hole would have to be bigger.

16. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    If you are in the state of "WI", one foot isn't nearly deep enough for the frost line. The pole might move during the freezing/thawing of winter. You'll have to deepen the hole in the spring. For now, just check signal levels and realign the dish if necessary.

To prevent pole-spinning, you can drill a hole on the bottom and slide a bolt through it, or just cut off the bottom at an angle.

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    If you paid for the pole how about call the installation company and point out the screw up. All this is covered in installation 101.

Joe