1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Polk Audio SurroundBar

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by Capmeister, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08 DBSTalk Club

Sep 16, 2003
    I just moved into an apartment and don't want to string wires for my surround system. Anyone have any experience with the Polk Audio SurroundBar?

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Not the polk one, but I have heard to Yamaha one and it was pretty decent.

Obviously not quite as good as dedicated speakers in each location, but as long as you have a pretty standard square type room, it sounded pretty darn good. Was not as good in an open space though as it did not have anything to reflect the sound off of.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The SurroundBar or the SurroundBar 50?

I don't have either, but can mention a couple of things:

1. The SurroundBar 50 is one of Home Theater Magazines top pics, but they don't recommend the regular SurroundBar.
    2. As with any soundbar, it's dependent upon your room. If you have one wall that's just sheetrock and another that has a curtained window, it might not work that well. It's designed to "bounce" sound off of existing wall. For the same reason, if the soundbar isn't centered on the wall (with equal distance between it and the adjoining walls), it might not work well either (sound from one side will arrive to your ears at a slightly different time than sound from the other side which will create and echo effect).
    3. If you can center your TV, your room is fairly symmetrical and you don't have any accoustical issues, the SurroundBar 50 should work well for you.
    4. The ZVOX 425 is also a top pick and it's a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 50.

4. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08 DBSTalk Club

Sep 16, 2003
    ZVOX works with your existing system, or no? I have three optical inputs and don't want fewer.

The room isn't perfect for such a thing, but it need not be perfect. Once I can sell my house in Michigan in a year or two, I hope to buy something out here and I'll build speaker wire into the room. ;)

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I did a pretty long demo of the Polk SurroundBar and didn't end up buying it. it would have been good for my room if I had only one person, but I ended up feeling that the surround "zone" was too small for more than one person at a time. I didn't think that the sound was weird or out of phase when out of that zone but I did not get the surround effect.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    As stated above, soundbar performance is tied to room dynamics (size, shape, placement, wall material). At best, you get 3.1 sound with apparent rear surround depending on your seating position. In a less than ideal situation, you'll lose that rear surround feel.
    If you don't have an existing HT receiver, you could consider a Home Theater in a box (HTIB) system with wireless rears for the same price as a quality soundbar.

7. phantom52

phantom52 New Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Try the ZVOX 550. Nothing to lose right now with the offer they have on. 30 days if you don't like it send it back, they pay shipping both ways. It has also got some great reviews.