1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Poll AV receiver preferences

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Jason Nipp, Dec 27, 2004.

Which AV receiver do you prefer

1. Yamaha RX-V2500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Onkyo TX-NR901

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Harman Kardon AVR 635

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Denon AVR-3805

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I am trying to get an idea of user preferences on features, functionality, and quality of the AV receivers listed in poll. Please feel free to share feedback on these receivers. If you have a strong preference outside of the poll please feel free to share the info.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Jason,

You might want to add the Marantz 7500 or 8500 to your audition list.

Santa brought me a 7500.

It has THX Select as well as component switching. The 8500 has DVI switching. They also upconvert composite & s-video to component. They are also one of the few receivers which has SRS Circle surround (which ESPN uses for their HD broadcasts). They also have a unique microphone which you use to balance your speakers automatically.

AVS Forum is pretty high on the "Marantz" sound, quality, & features.

I am going to hook it up tonight so I will be able to give you more info tomorrow.

Authorized online dealer:
    7500 http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sku=AMARASR7500

8500 http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=&sku=AMARASR8500

3. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Hey, I just might get a discount on Marantz...;) I am almost done building my new HT in the basement...I have a NR900 Onkyo upstairs and an older Yamaha downstairs...I am not impressed with the Yamaha I have and my Onkyo runs circles around it...but the guys over at American TV swear the new Yamaha is great...I demo'd it...They have all the above and do carry Denon but downplay it because it is not THX certified...I think all the receivers mentioned here are very worthy candidates...I just need help in the selection process.

Jason

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Sony STR-DE695 for me.

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    I have an HK AVR-7200 which works fine for all my needs (probably more than enough).