1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll for 215 OTA Guide Data

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by lapplegate, Jun 30, 2005.

Which option best describes the effect 215 has on your OTA guide data

1. #1 Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had some missing data, 215 did NOT fix this.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. #2 Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had all guide data, 215 removed some or all data.

31 vote(s)
    33.0%
  3. #3 Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had some or all missing data, 215 fixed it.

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  4. #4 Do NOT subscribe to locals, with 215, I now have some or all guide data.

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. #5 Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had some or all OTA guide data, with 215 it's exactly the same

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  6. #6 Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had some or all OTA guide data, 215 has lost some but gained o

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Mark, Allen,

I am posting this poll in the Support Forum, to get some feedback.

It appears that 215 has had varied effects on the OTA guide data, producing various threads on this matter.

I believe one of the main purposes of a Forum such as this is to gather information to establish a root cause and eventually correct the problem.

In an attempt to get that information in one place I am posting this poll.

It is now being reported that, with 215, there are those who do not subscribe to locals now being able to get OTA guide data. This makes it seem as though it would be even easier to get guide data to those that do subscribe to locals.

So, in order to sort through just what the various OTA guide data effects have been, please respond to the poll by corresponding your answer to one of the numbered scenarios listed below.

These seem to be the most common effects, that 215 has produced:

1. Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had some missing data, 215 did NOT fix this.

2. Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had all guide data, 215 removed some or all data.

3. Subscribe to locals, prior to 215 had some or all missing data, 215 fixed it.

4. Do NOT subscribe to locals, with 215, I now have some or all guide data.

Maybe with enough information, Eldon can get a handle on the various OTA guide data problems and get us all on the same page.

Thanks,
    Larry

2. gunawo

gunawo Cool Member

Aug 17, 2004
    My mistake

3. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Another reason for posting this poll here was to get replies, as that is just more information that can be used to help with this problem.

When 212 downloaded, I got all my guide data. 213 removed the data from 3 of the channels. 215 did not fix (or hurt) that problem.

There has got to be someone, involved with the software, that can figure out what they did on 212, 213 and 215 that would cause or correct these problems and use that information to get the data to everyone.

Of course, I still put teeth under my pillow expecting there to be a quarter in place of it the next morning. :D

4. JPC

JPC AllStar

Feb 8, 2005

I do subscribe to locals.
    I do have EPG info for the satellite SD local channels.
    I do NOT have EPG guide info for the OTA HD channels.

5. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    I selected #3

6. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Do not subscribe to locals, get ota from 5 DMAs , get EPG from 1 outside DMA

7. revenson

revenson Cool Member

Jan 31, 2003
    I have hd ota channel info for abc and cbs always have... but had hd for fox and nbc before 213 not after and not fixed...only sd info :(

8. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Where's option 5?

Had all my OTA guide data before, and still do now.

9. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    David,
    For some reason the poll would only let me post 4 options (4 Max.).

I do think that "no problem" is information that is as valuable, in fixing something, as reporting the problems.

But, having been through several 921 downloads, "no problem before and no problem after" is the least likely answer. :)

10. Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone Godfather

Aug 11, 2003
    I do not sub to LIL's. With L215, some, but not all, of my locals show up in "All Channels" list in red. The data for those same channels shows up in the OTA guide now, which is great, and much appreciated. I have no idea why they would add data for some locals, but not all of them. I am in the Kansas City DMA.

Brad

11. bryan92

bryan92 Legend

Oct 30, 2003
    I subscribe to locals and now have none in OTA after update. I have done a soft reboot. Would a power plug help? I dont want to give bad feedback if I havent done everything that I could to fix it.

12. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    bryan92,

I have done power plug pull, power button and smart card boots. Also I have reset to defaults, done check switch, unchecked off air locals, recheck off air, removed local digitals and re-added them through a scan and manually.

I have done pretty much every combination of these things and still do not get the guide data I lost with 213.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to get their data, with 215, as someone might stumble onto the fix, but it seems to be up to the software guys to fix this.

13. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Poll option 6?

I do not subscribe to locals. (Not available for subscription yet)
    With 215 they now show up in guide. (red) But no info for the OTA channels. (it works correct on my 811's) So they still don't have it quit right.

14. clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003
    Dish does not offer my locals. I have 215; but no OTA guide info!

15. bryan92

bryan92 Legend

Oct 30, 2003
    I'll try it just so I can report that Ive done everything I can. Thanks for the reply. I was one of the happy ones before this. :(

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Just my luck. 215 spools when I'm in the process of moving. My 921 has been in it's box since Saturday 6/25.

I have been one of the more vocal critics to the lack of OTA data for LIL non-subscribers.

It appears that they took my advice :) I requested putting the locals "in red" on non LIL subscribers in order to get the guide data onthe OTA's.

Since I'm still not hooked back up I have a question: For those of you who do not subscribe, ans are now geting the LIL's in red, did you have to change the option in the menu that turns on/off the analog stations (perhaps this is a 213 issue that was changed in 215)? Those of you who lost analog OTA's know what I'm talking about. IN 213 you had a choice of (IIRC) "Dish locals" or "OTA" for guide data. If you chose dish locals the analog OTA's disappeared from the EPG, but you got data for the digital OTA's. I need both (EPG data and analog capability), as my WB has not yet signed on digitally.

17. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Man, you need to practice setting up a poll here before doing one. Maybe Mark can fix it for you. Your poll is such a great idea but it's implementation will not give you accurate results.

Anyway, it's too bad this L215 is so buggy for lots of people, especially with this guide for OTA. For me the only bug I saw was that when I did not get any signal from local PBS DT I did a rescan. Then all I got was analog channels. I rescanned again and got all the channels analog and Digital. Rescanned again and this time reduced the analog channels down to 2 which is tolerable. I do not want analog channels in my listing. So far, I have not been able to eliminate those 2 analog channels which are in Brown in the guide with guide data. I need to rebuild the favorites again. Later on I discovered our local PBS was simply off the air for unknown reasons.

Back to this poll, I suppose I best fit #4. I refuse to sub to LIL from Dish as I get all the channels without fuzzies free. Now I have the guide data on all the channels except those sub channels on PBS, an independent, and WB. Regarding PBS- I do get guide data on the subs with my HDTIVO but it's totally 100% inaccurate so it's pointless anyway. :)

18. David K

David K AllStar

Nov 27, 2004
    I subscribe to Dish locals but there given to me out of Cinci, I pull my OTA out of Dayton, didn't have guide data before 215, and still don't.

19. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Don,
    Your right I need some poll lessons. I was hoping Mark or Allen could step in, since I could not find a way to edit the poll. Practice? From the looks of it this IS the practice. :) At this point accuracy is not as much a goal, as to getting as much info in one spot as possible. Every little comment adds to getting a bigger picture of why 215 effected the guide data so many different ways, for different individuals.

At this point it would be nice to see if it is area related, unit related or perhaps station / channel related.

I find it very interesting that you have guide data for the OTA analogs. During the course of trying everything to get the digital guide data, I did add the analogs (in brown). There was no guide data for them, even the ones that had data in the digital version.

That makes me wonder if the data is pulled more from the Dish locals instead of PSIP. I assumed that is why some are reporting the "red locals" in their guide.

At one point I was considering dropping the Dish locals to see if that was interfering with the PSIP.

At any rate, thanks for your and everyones input. It is appreciated.

Larry
    Practice Poller

20. bryan92

bryan92 Legend

Oct 30, 2003
    I made it home and tried several things. I unpluged the receiver for as long as it took to put on shorts and a t-shirt. Then I deleted all the locals and rescanned them. Still have no OTA data. Dont know if it matters but I get Savannah, Georgia locals.