1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll on how often does your 622 reboot

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Ron Barry, Apr 20, 2006.

How often does your 622 reboot on an average?

1. 0 times per Day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Less than once per day.

71 vote(s)
    65.7%
  3. 2 - 5 times per day.

27 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Over 5 times per day.

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. I have no idea how many times it reboots.

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    This is not exactly accurate but I figured getting a poll out might give a since in terms of numbers.

There is a counter in the diagnostics that counts the number of times it reboots. (This might include the finger power reset but I am not sure). You can get this by going to ... Menu->6->3 and selecting counters. It is counter number #5 (AC PWR/HW WD counter). The difference between my stable box and my unstable box in this count and counter three is huge.

With my old box the count was at 48 and i have had it 12 days so the average would have been 4 times per day.

So chime in and vote in the poll. What is your average per day for this counter #5(AC PWR/HW WD counter).

To do the math:

(AC PWR/HW WD counter #5)/number of days since activation.

Thanks Moman19 for the counter number correction

2. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    622 installed 4/5/06 Counter shows 4 so 4/15 = .26 per day.

My 622 has never rebooted by itself, these were all power plug or power button reboots by me. Once for loss of video, once for loss of audio and twice for loss of closed captioning.

Chan

3. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    I believe, need to confirm, but a power button reboot will not increment the count. Maybe someone can confirm this. Not sure what a power cord reboot will do. I guess my main concern (Based on my box that is going RA), is when the box wedges or spontaneously reboots. Which a number of people are reporting. Figured putting a number to it provides some data point.

4. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    With the current software version both my 622's reset much less frequently and at about less than once per day not counting the automatic reset that is scheduled.

On occasion, I do a power button reset when the picture gets jerky/robotic or other reported bugs surface. This may reduce the actual number of resets that the 622 otherwise might have happened.

I just checked #5 in Diagnostic Tests. On version "A" 27, on version "B" 8. Version "A" gets more use than Version "B."

5. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    Well I guess my comments won't help except to tell you that mine does not reboot by itself. At least it has not while I was watching.

You got my curiosity up. I power button rebooted, it did not count. I then pulled the plug, it did count, I'm up to 5 now. I may have rebooted intentionally more than the 5 times, it's just that that is what I can remember doing! :)

Chan

6. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Thanks Gravel. I figured it was that way but was not sure... Thanks for doing the leg work.

7. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    The first one rebooted 1 to 4 times daily. The replacement has not rebooted in the 2 1/2 weeks I've had it (knock on wood).

8. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Same here...MY old 622 model C rebooted 5 to 6 times during prime time (3 to 4 Hours. my new one a model D has not reboot during prime time once.

9. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    Mine is 2/5 = .4. I just got it Saturday and the count was 2.

10. obermi

obermi Mentor

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm new to this VIP622. I have had it for about three weeks. What is causing this problem? Mine has rebooted 3 times in a six hour period several times. Should I just deal with it or call it in?

11. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    Some 622's have a severe reset problem. If your continually resets, you should contact E* and report it to them. Chances are they will swap yours for one that works right.

12. obermi

obermi Mentor

Mar 12, 2005

Thanks!

13. netbob

netbob Cool Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Mine has rebooted itself 3 times that I saw. The count is 5 and I have had it since 03/14. This week it has booted itself 2 times under heavy usage. I does it when it is on all day viewing SD and HD plus multiple recordings. :confused:

14. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    With these results, albeit a small sample, I think it is clear that there is probably either a small amount of defective machines, or that users are creating situation with unventelated boxes, weak signals, or some other unusual setup or usage that is causing such problems.

15. Rodney

Rodney Legend

Aug 22, 2003
    Mine has never rebooted.

16. DAG

DAG Legend

Feb 7, 2006
    Uhh, no option for once daily?

17. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    It would be interesting to hear from those experiencing many re-boots as to whether their unit is inside a cabinet. And, from those that have successfully replaced a unit with this problem, was the replacement installed in the same location.

18. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    For sure. Statistically 3 people saying it reboots multiple times a day of 40 something reports isn't quite to the 10% ratio that I would guess Dish would consider worth worrying about. They just send out "replacements" to those who complain and hope that the software updates address issues in the meantime.

19. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Does look like I missed that one. I would mark people with 1 to 2 per day to make less than 1. I new something was missing.

20. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well I am one that had the multiple reboot issue and my box fell into the 2 to 5. I had the box in multiple locations. Both were cabinet but one was open front with a good foot and half of space all around.

I got my replacement on Wednesday and I have not seen any rebooting issues with the replacement. I plan on reporting back after I had a weekend to make sure a swap out worked, but from what I can see it has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.