1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor customer support!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by joes05rv, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joes05rv

joes05rv New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    I ordered an equipment upgrade last week; about 2:15 PM on 11/19/07 the installer showed up with the wrong equipment and was confused about the work to be done. When he said that the wrong equipment was all he had for my home I sent him away.

I have been a Premier, HD Access, Local, 4 receiver, customer for many years and I hope this wrong equipment failure is not DirecTV's way of telling me to go to Dish satellite service or Time Warner cable.

I ordered a HR-20 700 receiver, a HD receiver, a 5 LNB dish, and 6x8 Multi-switch and the DirecTV representative who took my order argeed to have that specific equipment installed at my residence today at no cost. I want only a HR-20 700 receiver because it also decodes local HD over the air broadcasts which the HR-21 cannot do. The HR-21 is not for me, is wrong, and is unacceptable.

Someone at the installer's office gave the lame excuse that the HR-21 receiver was the only one they had at their office. I asked them to order the HR-20 700 for me and either UPS or Fed-X would get it to my residence and then the installer could do the work. The lame excuse again was that the installer company has no control over the equiment they are given to install at a DirecTV customer's location.

I called DirecTV and received lame excuses from the service rep. and customer retention rep. that they cannot control what model HD-DVR a customer receives. This is nonsense!

I asked to be connected to someone in DirecTV who controls the inventory and was told that they do not know who that would be and cannot help me further. I canceled the order for the HD equipment upgrade since the HR-21 is unacceptable.

I cannot believe that a DirecTV Vice-President would be satified with such lame excuses and service if they had ordered an HR-20-700 receiver, and received the same poor service. They would find a way for DirecTV to get the proper model installed when and where they wanted. No one would be satisfied if you ordered a Ford pickup and Ford sent you a compact car with the lame excuse that the compact car was all they had to satisfy your order for a pickup.

Please forward my problem to the top managers in DirecTV so they are aware of my situation and can resolve it with the installation of the proper (HR-20 700) equipment. I am sure they would want to correct service failures that could cost DirecTV customers and bad publicity.

Does DirecTV want its customers to order the new HD equipment, then cancel the order when the installer arrives because they did not bring a HR-20 700. Then hours or the next day order again and then go through the order and cancel process until the customer finally gets what they ordered? It seems like a ridiculous and costly way for DirecTV to run their business.

2. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I skimmed it.

No one can guarantee you that you'll get an HR20-700.
    Your options are:
    1) try and chase one down
    2) buy one at a brick & mortar store, some BB's have a couple left, Costcos and CC's may be an option
    3) live without it.

If you dont like it, enjoy Dish or TWC/RR.

On top of that, the HR20-700 isnt even being produced anymore because the HR21-700's.
    See the manufacturer code?
    If HR21-100's start being produced I'm expecting the HR20-100's to go bye bye too.

ADDITION:
    In regards to your ford theory. If you ordered an F150 with a Bose stereo system, and Bose no longer offered their systems to Ford, and your options were trying to find a dealership that had an F150 with a Bose, settling for an F150 with a Sony, or going to chevy...
    Your comparison is apples to oranges. Truck to car, HDDVR to STD.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    First of all, welcome to DBSTalk!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Only thing I can think of is seeing if D* would compensate you for a receiver you purchase from a retail or online store... that way you could be absolutely certain as to which receiver you get.

As for forwarding your problem up the chain, this isn't a D* run site. You'll probably stand a better chance calling or emailing them directly. This site is by no means an official way of correspondence with D*.

4. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    I agree on what Mr. CJTE has stated, i made his comments in Bold on what options you have.

5. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I notice that two of the three responses have sigs showing you guys already have HR20-700's. Cut the newbie a little slack! While it is true that the HR20-700 is not in production, the HR20-100 still is. Are your HD locals available on DirecTV? If so, is there a particular channel or sub-channel you are looking for? Try asking DirecTV if they can do the install without the box and credit you the difference between what they offered you and what you'll have to pay at a retail store to get the box you are looking for.

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    With apologies to the OP...
    I had the same thing in mind... But I wanted to get a response first. The HR20-100 is a possibility, and I definetly recommend calling D* and asking them about the difference in regards to the box.

A quick call in to the installation dept and I was told that if I wanted to go buy an HDDVR from Costco, they would credit my account $100. Maybe the op can get a similar deal.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Why cut the op some slack? He admits that he has been a D* customer for many years then after the HR20's are replaced by HR21s he demands that he be given a scarce product. I believe D* does not have an obligation to find him an HR20 if he wants one now it his responsiblity to find it himself and pay the going price The HR20s were available for over a year with some pretty good upgrade deals. .:( :( :(

8. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I read his complaint differently.

He called an asked for an HR20 and was told that he would receive one. Then he was delivered a different product, and was told that DTV has no control over what product they deliver.

To promise him the product he wants and deliver a different product sounds like bait and switch.

If DTV has no HR20s and should have told him initially that they no longer have HR20s, then he could have made a decision to order something else or not order at all.

If DTV has HR20s, then they should deliver him an HR20, since that is the product he ordered.

It is amazing that DTV either doesn't know if they have HR20s and can't control whether they deliver HR20s or HR21s.

9. bnglbill

bnglbill Icon

Nov 29, 2006
    I think we're all missing the underlying complaint here... The removal of the OTA tuner. This is a justified argument. if I were to order an HD dvr today and they brought a tuner that didn't have the ability to recieve ota channels, I would be highly upset, to say the least.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Absolutely .. While there is a lot of DIRECTV talk on this site, we are all customers just like the original poster. We're glad to help in many ways, but alas, we don't have a direct line to DIRECTV nor control over their processes.

11. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    I think this leans more into the category of poor customer service training, than poor customer support. I highly doubt that most DirecTV CSR's have any idea of what they're selling.

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't think the argument was missed .. that is the whole point of an HR20 vs. an HR21. It is reasonable to expect to get a receiver capable of receiving OTA, especially since the HR20 is still in production (HR20-100). The installer may, in fact be very limited in what they can provide .. if an HR20-700 was requested, it may be that there are no HR20-700s and that there are only HR21-700s. The confusion may be in the "700" and not in the HR20 vs. HR21.

It's not clear that the OP has an option other than (1) trying again and hoping that an HR20-100 shows up or (2) calling/contacting DIRECTV again and asking until the situation is satisfactory. This is the one point that I would like to see resolved sooner rather than later because clearly it is an issue for some people.

13. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Poor training may be part of the cause, but the result is poor customer support.

I am amazed that people on this board will excuse treatment from DirecTV that they wouldn't put up with elsewhere. If I went to Best Buy and talked to a sales rep who sold me a television, and then they loaded a different model TV into my car, I wouldn't accept it. And if Best Buy then told me that they had no control over what model they bring out of the back room and didn't even know if they had the model I ordered, I would stop shopping there. I wouldn't excuse their failures just because they need to provide better training and need to get a better inventory control system.

14. memory

memory AllStar

Nov 11, 2006
    Ok for starters there are 3 models of the HD DVR out there and the H20-700 was the first model and then came the other models soooooo when the csr's tell you that they dont have control over what your getting THERE NOT LYING!!!!! WE havent had a hr-20-700 in our warehouse in a couple on months and we have over 250 techs soooo we are going through alot of them and if we do get any Ill bet they will be refurbs then you will complain about that sooo like someone else said if you want a specific model YOU will have to find it and if someone got pissed about the model I had and that was the only model I had access to hmm OHHH WELL!!!!

15. memory

memory AllStar

Nov 11, 2006
    Does DirecTV want its customers to order the new HD equipment, then cancel the order when the installer arrives because they did not bring a HR-20 700. Then hours or the next day order again and then go through the order and cancel process until the customer finally gets what they ordered? It seems like a ridiculous and costly way for DirecTV to run their business.[/QUOTE]

YOU ordered a HD DVR and thats what your installer had!!!!

16. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    The best thing to do is call and set up the service call. Then call the local install company and explain to them that you need the hr20 because of OTA. If they are still unable to help then purchase one at a B&M and then have D* credit your account back for the cost. Other then this if you are wanting to complain i would suggest emailing D* directly. I have seen that others have good luck with this.

17. swans

swans Legend

Jan 23, 2007
    these days. Customer service doesn't mean anything to most companies. It's mostly just lip service and barriers. Make it as hard as possible until the customer gives up. They might lose a few, but most will just take it, complain, and then go on with there life after getting the "we are sorry, but this is the best we can do!"

18. papa_azteca

papa_azteca Legend

Jan 11, 2007
    I have to question the motive here from the OP. Although he is new here he seems to know alot about the difference between the *20 and *21 models something that most customers don't even know about therefore not even question the agent about the model number. Although he may be new to the forum I think he tried to accomplish something that he already knew he would not receive based off some other threads regarding the same request.

As for the bait and switch, D* is offering him an HD DVR for the same price. They are not charging him more or less (I think he stated free) for one that includes an OTA tuner than the one that doesn't. Let's see, the *21 has a different size hd and two ethernet ports (although one is not being used). Does that mean that we should all through up our hands and complain that we received an inferior model bc ours is different? D* has always stated that they cannot control what is delivered to the customer via upgrade installations. This is not new. Don't you all remember the "I want a black HR20 instead of a silver one"? And I understand the "want" vs the "need" but we are paying D* for services that come off of their satellite. The inclusion of OTA tuner was an added "bonus" in my eyes. I can't get one of my local channels in HD from D* bc of who owns it. But I can still watch it via my HD TV tuner I just can't record it.

Let's seperate it to what this is: we as customers FEEL that since we pay D* money each month for satellite services and have been acustomed to a service outside of what the monthly payment covers we should still receive it. We don't NEED OTA on our D*; we WANT it. If there is a true NEED then we will find a way, regardless of the way, to be able to fulfill that NEED. And bc of that we have choices to make.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The Home Service Providers (HSPs), who are the big contracting companies that oversee all of DirecTV's "internal" installations, don't get a choice when they order equipment. They can only order x number of "HD-DVRs". DirecTV's Long Beach warehouse then sends them whatever they happen to have in stock.

If they have old stock in the local warehouse, they might be able to get you a specific model, but HSPs only have 90 days to get receivers installed before they get charged back for them, and individual contractors are only given 30 days, so equipment doesn't stick around long. In fact, most HSPs are only going to have the newest equipment available for this reason.

Retailers buy receivers for cash upfront, so they can sit on them until they get sold. Thus, you're far more likely to find older stock from a retailer than through an HSP.

20. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Good advice. Easiest way to hande this that i see. Some areas really do have a low supply of hr-20 100s, even the actual stores, but you are more likely to get exactly what you want that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.