1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor quality receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by schlar01, Nov 28, 2009.

1. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Has anyone had major problems with their receivers over the past few years? I've had DirecTV for 3+ years now and I've replaced all 3 original receivers. The last to fail was an H20 replaced with an H23 that has already started acting up.

I don't know, it seems like these receivers are just cheap Chinese junk.

The receiver in my office (H21 I believe) reboots itself every 1-2 days.

The new H23 has rebooted itself at least twice in 4 days and when I came home today there were no programs in the guide, only "current programming" or whatever the default message is.

The receiver in my bedroom is the most reliable but it, and the others, routinely give error messages that guide data has not been received for X hours.

I've checked all the signal strength, wires, b-band converters, zinwell switch, etc and its all fine. IMO these receivers are poorly made garbage from China but maybe that is just my bad luck?

2. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    guide data failures are usualy signal problems.. might have a flaky dish or cable..
    also you can check temp in the menus to make sure they aren't overheating..

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If your getting "guide data hasn't been received in X hours" you have an issue other than the receivers themselves.

Your dish type is either set incorrectly, you have a cabling/switch problem or you have an obstructed view of the 119 sat. Find out what the problem is and fix that and your "junk receivers" will work as advertised.

The rebooting is normal when the box runs out of data.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
    [Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # # # # # # # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
    [A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA #
    9-16 NA # NA # NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
    [Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA # # #
    25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    [Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(c)) [or 103º(b)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)
    [You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

5. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I had a hard drive in an R15 die about a year into service.
    Ive got a flakey tuner on 1 HR20.
    My D10 still runs strong and it's atleast 5 years old. Ive also got an old RCA from '97 that lasted til '07. I haven't opened it to take a look, but it's shorting somewhere. Its 'fun' to plug it in and hold onto the back and top of the receiver (it's all metal).

They're made all over the place. Mexico, Tawain, etc.

Sounds like overheating or a bad drive to me.

That could be an install issue. Like a tweaked dish, or something wrong in the cable.

Definetly sounds like a tweaked dish

Appearantly its not as fine as it seems because you're having problems with it.

6. thomas_d92

thomas_d92 AllStar

Nov 29, 2004
    I have an HR20-700 for 2.5 years and it is almost trouble free. I had to reboot it maybe 5 times in the 2.5 years. You must be over heating your boxes. Are they well ventilated? Heat will kill any eelctronic device.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    To the thread starter, may I ask: Are you using good surge protection or UPS protection on your receivers? All computers are sensitive to surges and these receivers are no exception.

8. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I've got good surge protectors on all of them.

The signal strength is just fine, the guy that just replaced the H20 checked them when setting the new receiver up. How would the dish be 'tweaked' if the signal strength is fine. Most of the readings are around 95 with few at 89/90.

For some dumb reason I didn't mention this problem to him but I was much more concerned with getting them to replace the receiver. I guess I can try to replace the switch.........wonder if they'd send me one. I don't really want to take time off work to get a guy out here for the infamous 4 hour window.

They are fairly well vented. Nothing special but the basement is usually cold and 2 of them are down there. They aren't really packed in anywhere so I don't see that as an issue. One is in a cabinet but the door is always open.

9. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    DirecTV doesn't stock switches and has no ability to send you one. You'd have to get one from a service technician, or order one from somewhere like solidsignal.com

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    What type of LNB is on the dish?
    What dish type is selected on the receiver?
    Do you have a clear line of sight to the 119 slot?

11. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    As far as equipment failures, that has been my main concern with D*
    I started with them in 2004 and on install day, 1 receiver was bad and also the multi-switch. Got set up initially with Radio Shack. They swapped the bad stuff out while the installers (and their mother) were still here. 2 years later I went for the HD receiver and of course a new dish. It failed 1 hour after the installer left. D* sent 2 by mistake, so I had to flip a coin to decide which one to keep. Bad coin. The receiver lasted about 2 weeks and went dead. Got a new one which worked fine. Upgraded again to an HD/DVR. That actually worked fine for a a few weeks. It was replaced. In the interim, I replaced my 3 std. receivers to HD boxes. One of them would not receive mpeg4 channels. After a bit of a hassle, got that replaced. Recently, my HR20-700 failed. Got a new, not refurb HR22-100. Works pretty well but have had consistent audio drop-outs. Not a cable fan by any means but does Comcast equipment fail this often?

12. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    If this failure rate was normal D* would be out of business. Either you are very unlucky or you have serious power issues. Have you tried using a UPS to condition the power to your boxes?

13. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Check your signals for the 119 satellite.

14. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Not sure what LNB is on the dish but its the newer larger dish.

119 is in the 50s. Is that bad? I'm guessing so? If so, its odd that it really doesn't affect picture quality.

1-8 N/A

9-16 N/A

17 - 24 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 54 53 51

25 - 32 0 58 0 57 0 58 0 58

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Guide info comes from 119.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes. Thats bad.

Here's what's happening.

The receivers get their guide data from both 101 & 119 sats depending on what channel your on. With you poor 119 readings, the boxes are getting starved for guide data. So, when the box goes for X long without guide data, it reboots, reacquires the guide info from 101.

You need to get someone to look at your dish alignment. Once thats fixed, you "made in china crap" boxes will magicly stop having the issues you are reporting.

17. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Thanks.

Another weird thing is that the new H23 box doesn't even show 119 when I view the signal strength. Those came from the receiver in the office.

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Re-run the SAT setup and pick the 5 LNB dish instead of the 3 LNB [which is 99/101/103]