1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Poor Remote response for HR34/700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mconwell, Aug 13, 2014.

1. mconwell

mconwell New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I am new here but did not see this topic - sorry if this is a duplicate

I have a DirecTV HR34/700 and I am using their light gray universal remote (IR)

I have noticed over the past month or 2 that the Gene fails to react to all of the remote commands. Sometimes it appears to queue them up and execute them in rapid succession after a multi-second delay.

For example, I may push FF which will work but then I might press PLAY which won't respond and I might follow that with a MENU command which also will not work. Then what seems to happen is that the PLAY and MENU commands will eventually be processed by the DVR.

Not sure what to do about it though, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior? If there is a known fix, I'd love to hear about that too.

2. Starchild

Starchild Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    Generally a restart will fix this. Sometimes happens after a power flicker occurs in the house.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This may be a bug with the HR34. A new software is supposed to be coming down the pipe that will (supposedly) fix this

4. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    I have had the same problem for a while now. Restarts don't help. Clearly the cpu being overloaded with activity. I hope the new software helps, but not optimistic. I think they have probably just exceeded the speed of the processor with too much activity.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Do you happen to have a lot of boolean series links, like ones that use the terms aall, cchans, ttitle or nname?

6. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    No, it's a software bug

7. mconwell

mconwell New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Restarting does not help. Guess I'm waiting for an update.

8. krunk84

krunk84 New Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I am having the exact same issue and the latest software patch seems to have made it worse.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try and run the CLEARMYBOX search and see if that helps until you get another update.
    You will not lose any settings or recordings. It just cleans out the stuff you do not need.
    Menu, Search & Browse, Smart Search, type in CLEARMYBOX, choose Keyword and let it go to work.
    Takes about 8 minutes to run. Then all the data it removed starts to reload from the satellite.
    This has worked for several that have reported back after doing it. Some say that after a couple of weeks that the receivers show signs of slowing down again.
    It can take 48 hours for all the guide to fill in and rebuild all the graphics after doing this.