1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POS NFLST/Fox/Whatever

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kmill14, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 9, 2007 #1 of 32
    kmill14

kmill14 Godfather

Jun 12, 2007
    Recorded the @#$@#@ Eagles/Packers game today, and in the Chicago region the Eagles/Packers contest was the local 1pm game on Channel 32. Recorded it, plus recorded the Bears/Chargers game, knowing the first game would run late anyway.

So, the game is in the final minute after the !$#@@ fumbled punt catch x2, and suddenly the game kicks over to the Bears game.

Since I was not home, I am sure it kicked the Eagles game back to whatever channel the NFLST version of the game was on. But since I was not home, I had the lovely opportunity of missing the awful end of this game.

2. Sep 9, 2007 #2 of 32
    luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    nope...anyone in the Chicagoland area got screwed on that one because D* has to have more than one game on the channel. D* made the mistake there...then they couldn't get us the late HD games either.

3. Sep 9, 2007 #3 of 32
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Explain this a bit more...

What channel did you set the recording on for the Eagles/Packers? Channel 32? or the NFL-ST Channel ?

--------

Luckydob what are you referring too?

Any game that was available to DirecTV in HD, was carried in HD... ON NFSL-SF

Or am I missing something here?

4. Sep 9, 2007 #4 of 32
    Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Yeah if you were on the OTA station and it switched then the station is at fault and that is against the rules the NFL has set for broadcasting the games. This comes from way back to the "Heidi" game.

5. Sep 9, 2007 #5 of 32
    ghostdog

ghostdog AllStar

Jul 6, 2007
    What was wrong with the ending OTHER than not seeing the game winning field goal kicked? ;)

6. Sep 9, 2007 #6 of 32
    chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I think you're missing two issues.

The Bears/Chargers game was scheduled for the same channel as the Eagles/Packers game.

When the Eagles/Packers game ran long, if you were in Chicago or San Diego they cut away from it and you didn't get to see the end of the Eagles/Packers game.

The second issue is that a lot of people were blacked out of multiple of the late games until later in the games, whether or not they were on local stations.

7. Sep 9, 2007 #7 of 32
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005

Well for your first part, that is the 100% EXACT reason I asked the OP what channel he was watching.

As for the later, that is what I wanted more information on.

8. Sep 9, 2007 #8 of 32
    kmill14

kmill14 Godfather

Jun 12, 2007
    Exactly. I had it recording on channel 32, the local Fox station. It cut off at around 3:10, and I didn't know who won until they showed a reply of the !@#!@# kick.

Imagine if it would have cut off right before the @#$@$ fumbled punt reception and THEN I get to see the loss to the @#@$#@ Packers. :nono2:

Anyway, that was a crappy move by the local Fox networks and whoever else should take blame..

9. Sep 9, 2007 #9 of 32
    chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    If you're talking about your local Fox station, that was an NFL requirement that they go to the local game.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The big issue is a coupling of lack of bandwidth forcing two games to be on the same channel with the NFL rules about local team games.

Basically, whenever two games share a channel and there is an overlap, someone will be upset no matter which way the games cut away. I got to see the all the Packer game and only miss the kickoff on the Bear game. Had the Packer game gone into overtime, had a been a Bear fan, it could have been even uglier than it was... :D

Cheers,
    Tom

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Ummm, it's been that way for decades. The local home team game will always be on the local station, period, no matter what other game is on. So at the time for kickoff on the local channel it will always switch over to the local team.

I can't say for the other poster for the Sunday Ticket channel as I wasn't watching it.

12. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Eagles/Packers game was on 724. Turns out that D* also had the Bears/Chargers game set on that same channel as the late game feed. So with about 6 seconds left and the Packers going to kick the field goal the screen goes black. Nothing...nada. I turn on 32 and see the Bears/Chargers. So, because of D* I missed the end of the game. Regardless of this being a blackout or not, D* should know better than to have 2 games on the same channel as NFL games routinely run over the alotted time frame. The blackout should only apply to channel 32 as it is the local game and only blackout the Bears/Chargers; NOT the Eagles/Packers.

13. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I can understand the angst for the people who've spent a lot of money for the NFL ST and SF and want to see all of their teams' games. The good news is this won't be a problem forever.

Cheers,
    Tom

14. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006

The problem is that there is a problem now. ST has been around how long and we still get this issue?

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    :) The good news is there is more HD games this season. The bad news is there isn't room for all the HD games this week of this season. And likely will be until the bye weeks start. :(

Cheers,
    Tom

16. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...

Not to rain on your parade, but they warned us that it might happen.

The NFL in its wisdom has in their TV contract that if there is a local broadcast of a second game, the network(s) MUST switch to that game at scheduled kickoff time, come hell or high water.

This may be the first time it has happened to you, but I'm almost used to it.

Bottom line, don't be sore at D* for this, be mad, very,very mad, at Paulie Tags and his successor; they are the ones responsible.

17. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Well...

Remember that if DIRECTV had the bandwidth to do NFLST/SF without reusing channels, this would not have been an issue.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Icon

Jun 29, 2004
    Plus if you would have just put on any other of the ST stations showing a Fox game they would have been showing the end of the GB, Philly game.

19. techstar

techstar Cool Member

Mar 7, 2007
    I watched the Packers on 724 and was worried we'd get cut off there at the end. They showed the game til the very end, players walking off the field and then abruptly cut to the Chicago/SD game, and as I recall there was 14:56 left in the first quarter so the only play missed was the opening kickoff. On top of that, they were running a scroll along the bottom of the screen as the GB game neared its conclusion that viewers would be switched to the Chi/SD game as soon as the Packer game ended.

20. hobbes

hobbes Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    Also, that crawl also gave the SD channel number of the CHI/SD game in case you wanted to go over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.