1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Possible bad triple LNB w/ internal switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by US Navy Husker, Jan 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. US Navy Husker

US Navy Husker New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I am trying to install an older dish with an Eagle DTVP3 triple LNB (w/ built in multi-switch) and one Philips SD receiver. I am not able to get any signal out of the LNB (0s across the board on 101, 110 and 119). I have checked and verified the cable and receiver.

I have been doing the home installation for quite a few years and never had a problem. I installed the dish in a location that has no obstructions. I verified (5 times) that it is pointed in the correct area for the zip using a compass. The elevation is good as well as the tilt.

I did notice that the plastic cover on the back of the LNB was cracked as if it had been dropped. I checked the resistance to ground on all four of the lines and they are all between 5.28M and 5.33M. Has anyone ever seen one of these go bad and what indications did you get?

Any suggestions?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I would verify your settings with here: http://www.dishpointer.com/

I think the SD settings are pointing you to the 101, while the old phase III is centered on the 110.

3. US Navy Husker

Jan 2, 2009
    I tried the site you gave and was about 15 deg off in az and 3 in el. I would think I should get at least a few low #s being that close. I will give that a shot in a day or so and see what I get. Thank you for the info!
    Nik

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    dishpointer.com is pretty accurate and I suspect you didn't use the tool correctly if you show those kind of differences. Make sure you set the satellite to "DirecTV 3 LNB (101W, 110W, 119W)".

I'd guess that the LNB was damaged when it was dropped or as a result of subsequent moisture incursion.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" this may be due to true north verse magnetic.

Look for the setup to the 110 SAT, since this is what the dish needs to center on.
    "The site is correct", how you use it may be "your problem".

6. US Navy Husker

Jan 2, 2009
    I did not use the "multi-LNB " setup. When I did, I got the exact figures that I was using. I am really beginning to lean toward a bad set of LNBs. Does anyone know where I can get a really cheap replacement?

Thanks again!

7. ironwood

ironwood Icon

Sep 20, 2007
    This dish has to be perfectly plumb and level for starters. Make sure you know where the tilt mark is, different brands of 3-sat dishes have it set different. Elevation is very important, try to move it up 1 degree at a time.
    When it comes to LNB's I can barely remember ever having one bad 3-sat lnb, those are very durable