1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Double Play Related Issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by islesfan, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I didn't want to post this as a double play issue because I'm not sure it's related, but here's what happened.

Yesterday, on the HR20, my Wife was watching Live Desk on Fox News. about 25 minutes in, they aired a story she wanted me and our sons to see, so she hit record (29 minutes into the buffer). When we got home, the recording appeared to be the full 2 hours, but it would not rewind past the part where she hit record (29 minutes). If I selected play from beginning, it still only played from the 29 minute mark.

She wasn't using double play at the time (in fact, we've never used it because it is too complicated to be useful, but that's another issue), but this has literally never happened before. Believe me, I've been with the HR20 since the beginning (well, a month after the beginning, but who's counting) and I've had EVERY problem, but never this one.

To clarify, I have had partially unplayable recordings, but in this case, it won't play what was in the buffer before the record button was hit, even though the progress bar indicates that the recording is there. This is what leads me to believe that it is a DLB related issue, but I don't know if it is a DLB issue or not.

Any ideas?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Have you tried to recreate it?

3. Eben

Eben Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Try rebooting the receiver and then playing the recording.

4. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I tried that first, no luck. The recording was still there, but I still couldn't play anything before the 29 minute mark.

As for re-creating the issue, I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

5. Castlebill

Castlebill Legend

Jul 25, 2006
    How could it be a double play issue if Double play wasn't activated (because it's too complicated???)?

6. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Is it possible that the program guide had this show split into two segments? If so, and she pressed record right as the next segment started, it would only begin record there. She would had to have reversed into the prior segment and then pressed record to capture it.

7. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Whether it is double play related or not, it does seem to be a bug. If I were you, I try to recreate it to see if it a consistent bug or whether it was a one time thing. Either way I would log it in the issues thread with as much information as you have.

I have a feeling it is somewhat related to the situation where you get rain fade in the middle of the program. Everything may show that the recording is 1 hour, but it will suddenly jump form 10 min to 45 min (or whatever) because that is the time that the signal was out during rain fade.

Everything indicates the recording is the correct length, because that's what the guide data says the length should be. However, for whatever reason (the bug) the entire buffer didn't get tranferred to the recording, therefore what plays is only the part that is now on the hard drive.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm not sure this is directly related to Doubleplay but I agree, something's not right. Please make sure you also note this in the Issues thread for this receiver.

9. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I didn't "activate" double play, DirecTV did. All I said was that no one was using it at the time, but Double Play affects buffers and this is a new issue involving the buffer, so I thought it MIGHT be related.

And as for too complicated, yes, it is. Why go through setting the buffer by pressing down, then switching channels? Why not just buffer both tuners (yes, like TiVo did) and when you use the previous channel button, you swap buffers. This version seems like they took the DLB workaround and added it to a menu option. I didn't want to get into that here, but I thought I'd clarify what I meant by unnecessarily complicated.

10. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I'll do that. Thanks for the info.

Oh, as for the rain fade explaination, my Wife was watching the program live, and it was fine live. She pressed record just after the segment she wanted me to see, and at the point where the record button was pressed it will not rewind past that point. There was nothing wrong with the live feed.

Also, the show was one long 2 hour program, not in segments.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    TiVo used the down arrow as well, BTW.

As for 'activating' you were being asked whether or not you started (or turned on) DoublePlay, not whether or not you installed it into the software. Based on your comments, it seems that the answer is "no" you did not turn on DoublePlay.

12. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I guess I didn't make myself completely clear, though it probably doesn't make any difference in reporting the issue. I didn't think that your issue was rain fade, but that as an example of how the DVR seems to list recordings. The info is taken from the guide and shows the complete time of the show as listed in the guide, even when the physical recording is not that long. (In my case the physical recording is short because of rain fade. In your case, it's because of whatever error caused the buffer to not show up in the recording.)

13. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    I didn't see this mentioned so I'll throw it out as a possibility since it has happened to me before. Did she change the channel briefly and then back to FOX News before pressing record? That would reset the buffer and give you the results you see.

Also I remember a similar thing happens with the HR10 DirectTV TiVo if you initiate the recording in different way instead of using the remote record button, like from the info display or guide. Don't know if that applies with the HR20.

14. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    This was going to be my same thought. Was she going back and forth waiting for this particular segment to come in? If this is the case then its not a mistake it will only record for the last channel change.

15. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    No, she only had it on in the background while doing something else, and when the interesting story came on, she watched it and then pressed record to keep it for me later.

I only brought up the DLB possibility because it was the new feature when this glitch appeared for the first time and because this was some kind of a buffer issue, and DLB involves the buffer.

Also, looking at the progress bar, there was a full 2 hours of recording, but the part before my Wife pressed record was inaccessable.

PS I haven't been able to re-create the issue yet (but I've only had a chance to try once).

16. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    I had a similar problem I noted on the issues thread already - the progress bar showed me as being beyond the actual buffer and it would only replay from the same point like your wife saw. Very weird behavior - and I was attempting to use DP with 2 games no channel changes.

I tried recording the show and then playing it to see if it would work and it would only go the spot where the DP started. SO I could only proceed to re-watch the entire game with no ability to FF or SKIP or REW and It would therefore take 1.5 hrs or more.

17. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    I've seen that bug before where a partial recording will have a longer listed length than what was really available for playbackj. Usually when I see it, the progress bar looks like it's showing the correct length, but since the playback starts (for example) 20 minutes after the start of the progress bar, the playback position indicator gets to the end of the progress bar and just sticks at the end time on the progress bar while the last 20 minutes of the recording are played. I'm not positive, but I think that I've seen this bug quite some time ago, before DP was ever activated.

18. MadManNBama

MadManNBama AllStar

Jan 31, 2008
    Guys, I am getting pretty jealous of this Double Play feature. How do you even know if you've got it? I can't find any info on DTVs website on it, only all you guys on DBSTalk seem to have it.

On another note, I also see that DTV now has an App Store. I accessed it tonight by double clicking the right arrow. It's kind of cool and should be better in time. However it is very slow to engage

Have any of you seen the app store? The double play is what I really care about though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.