1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Possible ice storm

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by android.cphone, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1 of 11
    android.cphone

android.cphone AllStar

Jan 10, 2012
    I'm in texas so this does not happen often but we have a rain event moving in with a high likelihood of the event turning into a freezing rain sleet event. Dose anyone have a suggestion of somthingbto spray on dish to prevent icing? I think I can get to it from porch safely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

2. Dec 4, 2013 #2 of 11
    longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Unfortunately there is not too much you can do to prevent icing. A dish heater works but for how rare freezing events are for you it would not be worthwhile. People have claimed things like Pam or silicone spray help but IMO all that does is gum up the dish. At this point your best bet would be a Super Soaker or equivalent filled with warm water

3. Dec 4, 2013 #3 of 11
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Some have (facetiously) suggested bolting the SWiM16 to the dish . . .

:coffee

4. Dec 5, 2013 #4 of 11
    RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    If you get enough ice build up on your dish to cause signal loss try a stream of water from a garden hose. Just becarefull the hose isn't cold and brittle or it will break easily.

5. Dec 5, 2013 #5 of 11
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    We have had ice events in South Texas before. Ice build up has never caused any problems on my dish in the past.

6. Dec 5, 2013 #6 of 11
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    We had an ice storm here about five years ago that left over an inch on everything. Caused all sorts of problems, but Directv reception wasn't one of them.

7. Dec 5, 2013 #7 of 11
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Even when I lived in the frozen North I rarely had loss of signal due to ice. I think maybe two or three times the snow came down so hard it impacted reception but even that was rare. Been in San Antonio some ten years now, with DirecTV the whole time, and we've had maybe two or three really bad winter weather events, ice storms not snow, during that time. Worst was maybe seven to eight years ago that did some damage to my pool equipment but no obvious impact on my DirecTV reception.

8. Dec 5, 2013 #8 of 11
    DFWHD

DFWHD AllStar

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm in the DFW area and have only had ice muck up reception twice in the approx 15 years I've had D*. Both times it appeared that the LNB was a the issue, as it was covered in ice and had a giant icicle hanging off it. The dish had only a light coating of ice. Who knows, a light coating could have done it too, but I guessed it was the LNB. Once it thawed, life was fine.

9. Dec 5, 2013 #9 of 11
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    See this ice storm warning. And, they are forecasting "ONE QUARTER TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH OF FREEZING RAIN"

10. LynnW

LynnW Cool Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Rustoleum NeverWet

I haven't tried it, but there is a picture of a dish on the packaging. The third review on the webpage raves about.

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think that's may be a shill review, since rain fade has nothing to do with water droplets on your dish.

Maybe it helps for ice/snow, I have no idea, nor do I have any idea whether it would be safe to put on the LNB cover. You would need to reapply it at least yearly, maybe more often. Some utility tried it out on power lines (for icing) but found the protective effect didn't last long enough to make it worthwhile. Not sure what "long enough" meant for them.

I think if you have a problem, a dish heater is the best solution if you have an inaccessible dish (NeverWet wouldn't stop drifting or heavy snowfall from burying the dish from below) or brushing snow off with a broom and using warm water for ice if your dish is accessible.

FWIW, eight winters in Iowa, no problems at all. Despite that I have considered maybe getting a dish heater...just because it hasn't ever happened to me doesn't mean it is impossible :)