1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible LOS issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gio12, Aug 20, 2013.

1. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Well my neighbor planted a Lime Tree in his yard, right in front of my dish. Its now becoming tall enough, that its starting to get in the LOS for the dish. So far my levels are great. But I am worried that this will change within the next 6 months to year. Then, I will have to move the dish or change TV providers.

The option is to move the dish, but its will be in plain sight in our back yard and pool deck area. Its hidden now. Then, the wires would all have to be re run and in a difficult spot for a tech.
    now, would DIRECTV move the dish free of charge to keep my service? If i cant get a good LOS, would this cancel my 2 yr commitment?

I am really pissed that my neighbor had ZERO consideration when planting his stupid tree. even if I slid the dish across the house a bit, his damn palms will be in the way.

Dish right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where I might have to move it. On the wall above the outside door. Look at the wall with the shadow that faces south. The french doors below face west. the old dish was in that spot when we bought the house. Right above the air vent on the 1st story.

[​IMG]

Any chance DIRECTV installer would mount up here around 25-30ft up? Only around 4ft before the fence to put up a ladder. yes its steep and the painter did it, LOL!
    [​IMG]

LOS if I moved it along the wall, closer to the pool deck.

[​IMG]

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    pictures are not showing. But if can't get LOS, DirecTV will cancel your contract without penalty

3. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Really? I see them. Hosted them on flicker and I am new to that, LOL!

EDIT: Fixed

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it could be just be who knows. but this is what I get

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, I see them now

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if it gets installed above the air vent, how will the wires be run? Seems you have concrete/stucco which makes it very hard to conceal wires

7. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Has to be run to the roof line, then then through the attic and around the house. About 175-200ft run.
    I cannot conceal the wires. Just paint them. :bang :down:

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Looking at your first picture I don't see you having a problem for quite some time.

The sat signals come in above where the dish is pointing.
    Draw a line perpendicular to the dish. The sat signals come in at about 22 deg above that line.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You may well start running into problems if you get a 175 to 200 foot run to the dish. That's on the margin of "too long" for RG6. As jdspencer notes, judging by the first picture you've got a lot of time before that tree will block your signals.