1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Possible Public Interest Channels List

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Adam Richey, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Hey everybody. I am trying to keep the HD lists updated as well, but I couldn't help but laugh when Charlie made the comment recently along the lines of him having all the HD out there really. Since he has made these outright false claims sometimes in referring to new content coming, I figured I would put to rest any argument that there are no public interest channels available to be added. I know I am probably missing some, and I will try to keep this list updated since it shouldn't take much effort. I would enjoy having several of the variety and arts channels. Any updates and additions are welcome.

Variety Channels
    America One TV
    AMG TV
    Open Student TV Network
    Retirement Living TV
    Retro TV Network
    Supreme Master TV

Arts and Education Channels
    Create TV
    Ebru TV
    Unemployment Channel
    Veterans Administration Knowledge Network
    Visual Arts Network
    Voice of America

Multi-Cultural Channels
    Louisiana Connection Network
    MHZ Worldview
    Muslim TV Ahmadiyya International
    Press TV (Iranian English)
    Shalom TV (Jewish)

Sports Channels
    @Sports TV

Movie Channels
    White Springs TV

College and University Channels
    3C TV (formerly carried as CCCSat)
    Buckeye TV
    California University TV
    Carnegie Mellon TV
    Emerson Channel
    George Mason University TV
    Hartford University Student TV
    Indiana University Student TV
    Michigan Channel
    Rowan TV Network
    Seattle Community College TV
    Trojan Vision
    University of Alaska TV
    University of Arizona TV
    University of Maryland TV
    University of North Carolina Student TV
    University of Pennsylvania TV
    University of Wisconsin Student TV
    Virginia Tech TV
    William & Mary TV

Religious Channels
    1 Truth TV Network
    Apostolic Oneness Network
    Catholic TV
    Church Communication Network
    Dr. Gene Scott's University Network
    Emmanuel TV
    Esperanza TV
    Faith TV
    FamilyLand TV Network
    Global Christian Network
    God's Learning Channel
    Gospel Broadcasting Network
    Gospel Music TV
    Hope Channel
    LifeChurch TV
    Living Faith TV
    Loma Linda Broadcasting Network
    Love World Christian Network
    National Religious Broadcasters TV
    Old Path TVl
    Prophetic Word
    Reformation Channel
    Shepherd's Chapel
    Spirit TV
    Spirit Word Channel
    TCT Network
    Total Living Network
    TVU
    Vision Heaven TV
    Word Network
    Worship Network

2. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    With the recent demise of 2 PI channels, E* should add more soon. Instead of adding anything new the E* "smoke and mirrors dept." has mapped some of the current PI channels that appear elsewhere in guide to the "PI ghetto" in the 9400's (EWTN, TBN & CSPAN-1) to give the appearance of a full slate of PI channels.

I'd really like to see Catholic Familyland TV. We used to get it on Sky Angel. This channel is carried on local cable systems on their digital tier.

3. Aransay

Aransay Icon

Jun 19, 2006
    houw about

this tv for variatt vclasis tvcahnnlesand
    mariavsion (catholic)
    El sembrador netwotks (catholic9

i woudle lvoe to se the 2 chanel uplinked to disjh

4. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    In fairness, most of these channels wouldn't be considered public interest or they are targeted to a specific region (i.e. most if not all of the university channels). Also, many of the other channels listed above that might be considered public interest most likely would not be willing to pay E* for the uplink costs.

For example:

Create TV: Available to PBS affiliates as a digital subchannel.

Visual Arts, Retro TV Network & AMG TV: These are ad supported channels that are shown on many TV stations across the country on their HD subchannels.

The Unemployment Channel: This is a "service" where you pay $25 to have a 30 second resume video uploaded to the website and supposedly "broadcast" on some national TV network. The website doesn't have a live stream nor does it tell you where to see this national TV "network."

Retirement Living & America One: Not a public interest network. At the very least, it runs advertisements.

Open Student TV Network & The college TV stations: I didn't look at all of them, but they are targeted to the campus from which they originate.

VOA: Targeted to people outside of the country. I guess it is possible though.

VA Knowledge Network: Aired in VA centers only.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Any channel that airs commercials or shows commercially sponsored programming would not be eligible. RFD lost their PI status over being commercial.

Then turn around and ask PIs to pay a fee for carriage. This fee is based on the cost of the channel space they are consuming. While the above PI channels exist would they be willing to pay 6k per month for carriage (a discounted rate based on half the cost of one of 12 channels per transponder)? DISH is not required to offer PIs free carriage.

That additional distribution cost is carried by the channel.

The PI requirements are odd ... there is no requirement that dropped channels be immediately replaced. The required channel count is based on the number of channels carried of each slot (DISH wanted to calculate based on the system and put the PIs on the wings but that didn't fly). When trying to figure out if DISH has enough PIs to fulfill the legal requirements look at on a slot by slot basis. Years ago when I did the math DISH was actually over the minimum requirement for PIs.

The PI requirements apply to US DBS. In my opinion the foreign slots should also have a PI requirement since they are being used for US DBS. There are a lot of locals on certain slots ... they obviously don't count 1:1 or DISH would be required to carry PIs based on their count and would be way behind. There is a lot of math involved ... more than I'm willing to do at the moment. :)

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I don't watch PIs... Personally I'd rather have CSPAN3.