1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Possible to network receivers on different accounts?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bocasierra, Jul 31, 2013.

1. bocasierra

bocasierra New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I will have a temporary setup with an HR24 and an HR34 each on separate DirecTV accounts. If both accounts are Whole Home enabled, and both DVR's are connected to the same dish, will they be able to share recordings using Whole Home?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I dont see what they should not

3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    We know that this will work, because of the problems some people have in MDUs when their apartment isn't isolated from their neighbors' , and they end up seeing each others playlists.

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    If you want to pay twice, one account should be DirecTV and the other on DISH.

:coffee

1 person likes this.
  5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    We know that this will work, because of the problems some people have in MDUs when their apartment isn't isolated from their neighbors' , and they end up seeing each others playlists.

Good point texasbrit

6. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Actually, it has been said here for, well, years, since I first asked and was told it should work.

It does NOT (and I have tried multiple times, the last about 3 months ago).

Yes, one can see the titles from the other account in your Playlist. However, seeing titles and playing is 2 different things.

Once you attempt to view the actual program, it appears to start playing for a frame or two, and then an error message appears. The recorded/encrypted programming is clearly tied to that account and cannot be decoded on another account.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And I have seen it work perfectly myself. Don't no what to tell you.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Ill see if I can test it again myself someone in the next few days.

9. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Let us know the channel(s) you make it work on. Make sure you try the locals. And what units you are using.

I've tried it between a HR20 and HR34 as well as 2 HR20s with the same results everytime.

All running NR, no CE that might have protection disabled.

10. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    You absolutely CAN share recordings between receivers on different accounts share recordings. I have had this setup in my house for over a year now.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

11. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    As a follow up to previous post about receiver types used:
    First account: 1 HR44, 2 C31, HR24
    2nd account : 1 HR34, 2 HR24s

All share perfectly, on mixed legs of the swm16, 1 deca bb

12. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, another DirecTv user I talked to has no problem running Whole Home across two accounts.

13. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Could it be the HR20s (isn't that the oldest receiver to allow MRV?) with it's funky wiring setup is the cause of the instances where it does not work? I always had a rough time with just about everything except for speed when I had one of those on my system. Pure speculation.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Could it be the HR20s (isn't that the oldest receiver to allow MRV?) with it's funky wiring setup is the cause of the instances where it does not work? I always had a rough time with just about everything except for speed when I had one of those on my system. Pure speculation.

Nah. First the funky wiring is only for one specific model, and there wherent many of those. The 100s. Second, they all work the same in the end. Their software isn't any different that drives Whole Home Service.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but you need to make sure that both accounts are assigned to the same service address.

For example if one account is supposed to be in chicago, but they are both in a home in Nashville, you could end up having issues. The receivers from the account in Chicago will dial back to DirecTV over the internet and they will notice that they are coming from an IP address in the wrong city and the account can be flagged and suspended, shut down, etc.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While this is a true "issue" I dont think this will affect playback though

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It will once the account gets suspended and those receivers don't work at all anymore, ha ha ha.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Now that I think about it, this is a moot point, cause WHDVR does NOT need internet. so if the customers wants to do this, DO NOT connect to internet. easy, peasy

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Correct, but I just wanted to let the OP know about this possible issue since nobody else mentioned it. I didn't really want to give him pointers on how to avoid issues with it since if these receivers are from a different service address he is breaking the TOS and we shouldn't be helping him.

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is the same as someone taking a receiver camping. While he is breaking the TOS, this is something that DirecTV turns a "blind" eye on and has been discussed to death here