1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Possible to see disk space used/free on Genie Go?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by sbl, Aug 22, 2014.

1. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I just got a Genie Go 2 and attached a 1TB disk to it. I've been looking for a place in the apps (PC and iPad) to show me how much storage is used/free on the disk, but have come up empty. Is there a way?

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    In the GenieGo app on the iPad, tap the question mark on the upper right corner. Then select "System Info" and the free/used space will be on that screen as long as the app sees the GenieGo.

You can see it on the PC version as well but I don't remember where it's located at the moment.

3. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    It's also in the upper right for the PC app.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    In the DAFI client (Directv App for iPad) it's under Settings / GenieGo / SysInfo.

5. prushing

prushing DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 14, 2007
    you don't need to worry about it, I think the most I have used is about 80-100GB and that included almost all of my 70% full Genie being transcoded

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Pun intended? !rolling

7. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Hah! I had not expected the Help icon to be where this was, but I see it is. This also tells me that it's not seeing my USB disk. I suppose I won't worry about that for now.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If you open the PC Client, it should prompt you to use the added drive.

9. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    It doesn't. I can see that the drive is spun up, and I know from use elsewhere that it doesn't need a lot of power.

10. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    So far adding more "disk" or memory to the GG can only be done on the PC client that I have seen. It should see the drive and ask if you wish to use it. Had to burn a license for a laptop just to add a 32G memory stick and have it work. None of the DAFI or GG app layers so prompted me to format and use it.

Don "I dream of a day in a world without Microsoft" Bolton

11. zdman

zdman Cool Member

May 26, 2006
    I spent an hour trying to get my GenieGo 2 to recognize the flash drive I installed. Finally went to my Mac and put the app on it and it popped up a box asking to format the drive. I too dream of a day without Microsoft.....unfortunately at work that may never happen.

For the OP, why would you use a 1TB drive? That seems excessive. My understanding is that a 32GB or 64GB flash drive would have enough memory for a full Genie.

12. prushing

prushing DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 14, 2007
    Not even close, I'm at 83GBs transcoded right now. Each 1 hour is ~500MB - 600MB last time I looked. Lets just say a Genie is 200 hours, so you are looking at +100GBs of space needed to have everything there.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I have a 32 Gb stick for 44.5 total on GG2. About 28 GB loaded on 2 iPads and there's not enough hours in the day to watch it all - with everything else we record. But it's nice to have it when there's nothing else available.

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    About the only way I see to have a big drive attached to the GenieGo is IF there was a way to have EVERYTHING automatically transcoder to the GenieGo with the flick of a single switch. And I am not referring to the switch on EACH program but a system wide switch

15. prushing

prushing DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 14, 2007
    And your talking about having enough drives on your system to store about 2000 hours to fill up a 1TB drive.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    No problem here, but I'm not going to transcode everything.