1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly removing protection plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by acostapimps, Dec 22, 2012.

1. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    How long do you have to have protection plan before they incur fees if removed too early? I have PP since February because they added receivers with zinwell multiswitch and tacked on the plan without my knowledge, since I didn't sign anything, but I decided to keep it anyway just in case but know I deciding to remove it.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't think there are strings attached to dropping the plan.
    If you took out the plan and used it and then tried to drop it, there might be a problem.

I would call customer service about this and see what they say.

3. Dahammer

Dahammer Cool Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I'm a new subscriber (a little less than a month) and the way I read what they sent about it, was that you have 30 days to cancel it without incurring a penalty. If you cancel it at after the 30 days and before 1 year has passed, there is a $10 fee.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Looks like Illinois is a bit different, but I don't understand what they are saying for it either.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Exactly. You basically have a one year agreement with the PP. If you don't cancel during your anniversary month, there is a $10 termination fee.

- Merg

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This is the extra Illinois language:

Illinois Residents: You may cancel this Plan for any reason at any time. If you cancel within thirty (30) days of contract purchase, and we have not paid a claim, you will receive a full refund, less a cancellation fee of $50.00 or 10% of the Plan price. If you cancel after thirty (30) days or anytime after we pay a claim, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the Plan price based on the days remaining, less any claims that have been paid, less a cancellation fee of $50.00 or 10% of the Plan price.

http://www.directv.com/dpp_terms/1010_protection_plan_terms.pdf

Not understanding where the $50 is coming from.
    Only reason I mention it is the OP is in Illinois.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If they paid a claim / service call and you canceled the $50 would be to cover the service call they made. ???

I do not now or ever have had it.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But it says that the $50 applies even if a claim hasn't been paid.

9. Mark40930

Mark40930 Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would try to call them to see if they can explain it better, if necessary have them escalate to a supervisor so that you have the right information.