1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Storm Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by docspencer, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 #1 of 27
    docspencer

docspencer Cool Member

Dec 4, 2007
    A storm rolled through last night - lots of wind and lightning. This morning neither the DVR (living room) and receiver (bedroom) were receiving signals. We reset the DVR several times and over the course of the day channels started coming back. Not sure how many we're getting now, but quite a few.

The receiver in the bedroom isn't receiving ANY signal - even after several more resets.

Any ideas about what's going on?

2. May 7, 2012 #2 of 27
    Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Re-aim your dish. The wind moved it.

3. May 7, 2012 #3 of 27
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And make sure it's mounted properly. Wind really shouldn't knock it out of alignment (assuming that is the problem). I live at the top of a big hill, with no big tress around, so we get tons of wind. And in the 9+ years I've lived here, I've never needed a realignment.

4. May 7, 2012 #4 of 27
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Another thing to check are the connections outside for moisture as the rain may have soaked them.

5. May 7, 2012 #5 of 27
    docspencer

docspencer Cool Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Well, I looked for connections that might have gotten wet, but they aren't visible. I did however look at the elevation measurement and on that scale there's a long scrape - like the dish was pushed forward from behind. I think the elevation is supposed to be 41 degrees - which is where the scrape starts - and how it seems to be at 20 degrees. Its all tight but I'm thinking some nasty wind gust caught it just right. We talked DTV into sending a tech for only $10 so its worth having someone come out. Not sure, however, why we're getting some channels on the DVR and NONE on the other receiver. Very odd....

6. May 7, 2012 #6 of 27
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Indiana shows an elevation of 40.5º, so you wouldn't be getting any signal if it was at 20º.

7. May 7, 2012 #7 of 27
    docspencer

docspencer Cool Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Damn - and I thought it was such a good theory...... :)

8. May 7, 2012 #8 of 27
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Think your best idea was: We talked DTV into sending a tech for only $10 so.. ;)

9. May 7, 2012 #9 of 27
    docspencer

docspencer Cool Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Yeah - sometimes it pays to have an assertive wife!

10. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I have to agree. That was the winning idea here. If it IS something serious, he can find it. I assumed since he mentiond the wind, that it would be aim, but since he is getting different problems on different boxes, the water intrusion might be more likely, or maybe a combination.

11. docspencer

docspencer Cool Member

Dec 4, 2007
    The tech came out this afternoon and here's the report:

3 fried b-band converters
    1 fried receiver in the bedroom (even melted the card)
    1 fried multi-switch in the basement

The dish and all else outside seemed fine, though the tech decided he wanted to put some concrete around the post, replaced all the connectors, and put in a ground post.

Turns out there's no way I could have trouble-shot all of this - as my wife likes to say - "would you want the tech to come teach your class?".

Only thing left is the antenna (I like to have an off-air feed during storms). Only station we now get off-air is the in-town station; all Indy stations are gone - don't know if its the antenna misaligned from wind or a fried amp on the mast.

Thanks for all the responses folks!

12. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Okay. I doubt anyone here would have been able to diagnose all that from your post. There are some really good people here, but not THAT good!:D

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    She sounds quite lovely.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Next time, save yourself the hassle and expense by doing what I do-at the first clap of thunder all of my DirecTV equipment, TV sets, and any other expensive electronic equipment gets UNPLUGGED!!

Oh, and don't forget to unplug the phone line and/or internet connection from each receiver if you have it connected.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta be the briefest post you've ever written.....:lol:

Rich

16. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Since you had some other electronics fail it seems like the preamp or the power inserter for the preamp would be bad. If you have a voltmeter test the output of the voltage inserter inside the house. If tests OK it could be the preamp on the mast is bad. Temporarily remove the power inserter so its sending no power to the roof and go to the preamp and install a barrel so that just the antenna is hooked up. Unless you are really far from broadcasters, you should be able to get more stations now than just the one. If yes than get yourself another preamp.

If I remember correctly the preamps we use will not pass any signal through the preamp without power going through it. Maybe you will get lucky and find its just disconnected after the diagnosing of the sat equipment.

17. docspencer

docspencer Cool Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I'm not sure what the voltage inserter is. There's something plugged into an outlet in the basement. I vaguely remember it being part of the installation of either the DTV or the antenna. Might that be it? I could call the guy who installed the antenna and ask him. No voltmeter. Sorry - I'm usually not this clueless.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The black box here:

[​IMG]

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You are overloading him :) He doesn't have a voltmeter at home .:eek2:

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While it isn't a 100% check, there is an LED on it for power.