1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential new DirecTV customer- new apartment and lots of questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KhurramA, Jun 16, 2009.

1. KhurramA

KhurramA AllStar

Jun 16, 2009
    Hello everyone.

I have just moved into a new condo building in Miami Beach, Florida that allows directv installation on a tripod and I have a clear view of the southern sky.

Here are my questions
    1. Are all standard installations now using the SWMline dish? I need two hd-dvr's and sunday ticket

2. With the new dish- how many wires will actually be coming into my apartment and will they have to drill a hole in the wall or can it come in through the window/balcony door?

3. Since my condo is already pre-wired for cable- if I do infact get the new SWMline dish- can the other bedroom be hooked up using the already wired cable in the condo? I do not want to have to drag cable all the way from my living room to the bedroom especially if the condo is already pre-wired.

4. How much extra does Directv charge for installation including the tripod setup?

5. Do I need to have a phone line still for directv sunday ticket? Can I use the ethernet adapter they now provide for the initial setup and future call in's? ( I also have vonage)

6. If I use two of the already wired rooms for the receivers (living room, bedroom)..can I use the 2nd bedroom's coax cable for hooking up a cable modem from a different provider?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I appreciate any input from you guys.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    No they aren't and with only 4 tuners on your order it wouldn't be generated by the order system either. You can cross fingers and 'convince' a tech to do SWM when he arrives on site. Will depend if he has SWM LNBs and is trained.
    Just one would be coming in if that is the best way. Flat cables are available but frowned upon by a lot of techs and supervisors for their ability to fail quickly when people slam doors or windows into them.
    Possible but I am not sure of any tech will want to touch such system afraid of back charges. Also depends if the system has separate runs for DBS and CableCo.
    Diplexing into it would not be supported.
    $30. But generally slimline HD dishes are not installed on tripods, non penetration mount is better option @ $65.
    No phone needed, internet can be used for VOD, PPV etc.
    See #3. I have it working on a shared wire but that might not work for you. It would depend on how the wires are run.

I suggest looking maybe for an area retailer and see if they can come out for a site survey and see what they can do for you.
    Loading all this stuff on a HSP guy can be a recipe for disaster.

3. KhurramA

KhurramA AllStar

Jun 16, 2009
    Wow! Thanks for all the answers!
    I really appreciate it.
    I suppose I should get a lolcal installer to come look like you said.
    Thanks again

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, he can also more or less guarantee you a SWM setup and may meet all your other requests. He should be able to offer the same deal as D* but as said before custom work charges might be involved.

5. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Non penetration mount? I am also somewhat in the same boat as the OP. I am moving into an apartment which has a patio on ground level, if obstructions block that my landlord/owner will allow me to put the dish on the apartment roof if done professionally.
    So what is a non penetration mount? whats that look like? secondly for the DVR unit, since its a dual tuner do I need to coax going from the receiver to dish?

Thanks in advance.

6. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Maleman,

I was able to get my landlord to agree to a non-penetrating roof mount (3 story apartment building with a flat roof).

What it is is basically a metal frame to which you can attach a tripod and then use bricks to stabilize it/hold it down instead of using hardware to attach the tripod to the roof (thus making holes in the roof). An angled roof is tougher, but those can sometimes be done as well.

I then have four cables from the dish and one cable from the OTA antenna run down the side of the building and into my apartment through the wall (I'm on the first floor). They weren't real keen on drilling through the wall, and I think didn't quite exactly understand it, but they signed the 'permission slip' and we OK with the end result. I don't think a lot of managers are that accommodating, though.

7. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Thanks for the info and your totally correct about apartments/condos allowing this. My landlord seems open to it as someone previous had a dish on the roof. As long as its done professionally he seems fine with it. The roof is flat. Any metal frame? How is the tripod attatched to the metal frame? And I have seen a patio stone/brick securing a dish stand.

Secondly, does the DVR require one coax cable or two? In order to get two tuners.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Two versions:

For ka/ku, comes with a pole and for basic dish, comes with screws to attach a pole.
    HSPs have these, but not all tech have them on the truck. So you might have to push a tech sup to bring one for the tech. also custom charges apply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ralphfurley

ralphfurley Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Also in sunny/rainy south FL...parents got the "non penetration" mount on their flat roof. a few months later, water poured in directly below the mount. it wasnt properly placed and it caused roof damage. Luckily, insurance saved the day.

10. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Thanks I will discuss the installation with my landlord/owner once I move in. I really hope I that I can get the signal from my patio. This would make things alot easier and a bit cheaper. :)
    2 tall thin shrubs may block the view. :( I am hoping the space between the shrubs gives enough room for the dish surface to see the sky.

I am assuming the entire dish surface must see the sky?

And DVR uses one or two coax cables to the dish?

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    It doesn't really have to, but no tech will really install a dish with the possibility of future vegetation growth.
    Nor do the stuff in the attachment.

DVRs need two lines in a legacy system.

Yes, it does need a rubber mat so the roof doesn't get penetrated. god even two big pieces of cardboard could do that trick

Attached Files:

12. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    If they use the SWM setup its only 1 coax to each DVR/STB. As for using your internal wiring. I live a few minutes from the beach and can tell you most if not all the wiring is for the cable company. If you plug in your tv directly too the wall you might see basic cable. So expect one small new hole in the wall. As for the cable internet. I would even check with the management company and see if they give you a rate for cable internet. I had only one DVR installed in my house and was told by the installer that as far as he knows Directv contractors (Mastec) was doing almost all installations with SWM. Also, make sure where the building allows the dish. Sometimes even if the landlord says he doesnt care the management company may have some bylaws regarding this. This was my issue in a single family home.

13. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Thanks so I can get the Slimline 3 LNB with SWM correct? This will allow me just one coax for the dual tuner DVR?

With the non SWM I need two coax cables?

Thanks

14. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Correct.

15. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I want to make sure that you got it correct. Its one coax per DVR or non-dvr. The Slimline is what was installed in my house with the SWM. I was also not able to use my current wiring due to the cable operator and their arrangement with my management company. I had one new hole made in the house and then a small splitter was installed to feed all the tv's. As I posted for someone else.

Dont be affraid to tell the installer what you would like. Its your bill and your service. If your on the beach and go through Directv and not a retailer, Mastec has the major contract in our area. Good group of guys. If you go through a dealer they most likely use someone else but whoever it is just let them know that you want a clean install and you should be ok.

16. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Is the SWM already connected? or needs attatchment?

17. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Its a separate adapter. In my case i connected it to the power outlet inside the house on my UPS so that it wont loose power in an outage.

18. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    internet / network will also get MRV soon as well so hook each of them up.

19. KhurramA

KhurramA AllStar

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm looking for an area retailer in SoBe...does anyone have any recommendations?
    Should I just contact Mastec?

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Seems to me the best option for you would be calling 1-800-DIRECTV.