1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential subscriber, equipment/setup questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by raventbk, Oct 25, 2009.

1. raventbk

raventbk New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    As the topic suggests, I am finally looking to subscribe, now that things are getting better in the financial dept. I have a question about equipment first before I make the call. Hopefully someone can enlighten me...

First off, trees. I have a perfect canopy covering my entire property. I am unable to get a Dish500 to see both birds (110/119) at one time. Back in the testing days, I successfully used two legacy dave dishes to view both birds, from different vantage points. Yes, I admit I was doing it..however I got broke and sold off the boxes to put food in my kids mouths. ;)

I have checked, and they both still have a clear shot to their respective birds. The issue I think I will have is if I call for installation (cause I'm lazy), will the installer understand what I need to do, or be like the DTV guy was back in the day when I first moved in, looking around and say no? Basically, will Charlie actually support such a setup, or force me to use a Dual LNB (Dish500?) device?

Next up is equipment itself. I'm looking for SD programming only. 110/119 has what I want. I also want DVR functionality, so that leads me to the DishDVR 625. I know the VIP series requires DPP gear, but will the 625 function properly with legacy gear?

My current setup:
    two legacy dtv saucers, both outputs from each (13/18v) fed into a Zinwell SAM-4803 switch, with 4 of the 8 outputs used sent to four rooms.

I understand the Dish625 is a dual tuner, dual output device. As such, I expect to receive two receivers. Other than the obvious task of connecting the two receiver-less rooms to those with, how much of my above setup will have to be replaced? And by what?

I hope its all not too much. At least I know its easier to read and understand versus other posts I've seen without punctuation. :D

Thanks in advance.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The existing dish system should be fine for DISH Network SD and an expanded system should work for HD.

You may find that DIRECTV is more willing to work with you if you order HD equipment (this may give you the ability to use 3 satellites that are spaced a total of 4 degrees apart).

3. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    ViP receivers will work with DPP, DP or legacy switches and LNBs. The main rule is that legacy may not be mixed with DP/DPP for any receiver line.

If you stay with the legacy gear, you will need to run another output from the switch to each room that has a dual-tuner receiver. If you replace the LNBs with DP Duals and the switch with a DPP33 you can use the existing run of RG6 for each room.

p.s. The paragraphs are appreciated nearly as much as the punctuation. You may stay. ;)

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Won't a DPP44 work even if the LNBs are legacy?

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Bob I have to disagree with you, only the dishes can be used the sam4803 can't be used with DISH. With 2 dual feeds from the 110 and 119 dishes a SW64 switch would be needed, Each 625 would need 2 feeds from a Legacy system.

If he switches to DP LNBs he would probably need to replace the dishes because DISH uses "D" tube rather than rectangular feed arms. But he could use DP34 switches with DP technology.

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Nope. Legacy LNBs can only be used with legacy switch(es), and vice versa. Legacy LNB/switch combos can be used with legacy and DishPro receivers.

DP and DPP switches require DP LNBs. Legacy receivers may be connected to a DPP switch if there is also a DP receiver connected, or to a DP switch if the DP Adapter is added.

More at http://www.dishuser.org/dishpro.php

If I may first take a moment to disagree with you, my real first name is in my signature. ;)
    Good point. I'm not familiar with that switch and didn't take into account that it may not have been used with a bona fide Dish receiver in its previous life. An SW44 would also work here.
    Another good point. The DP34 is also a good solution and probably cheaper than the DPP33 though it would require an extra RG6 run to each dual-tuner.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Sorry Charles I guess I need to read everything in the post but Bob comes very easily.

8. raventbk

raventbk New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Hmm, my local retailer doesnt have any 625's or even 311's in stock anymore. Its all VIP gear.

So, if I am reading everything correctly:
    * VIP receivers WILL WORK with legacy lnb's and legacy switches

So, If I put in the SW64 I have laying around, I should be able to properly set-up a multi room scenario with the VIP and legacy lnb's I already have?

I'm looking to quit the arguing with the dealer and close on this today if possible...quick answers will be appreciated. :D

Setup diagram attached:

Attached Files:

9. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Get a 612 instead of the 625 and get it with your initial install.

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    When did the 612 become a dual output receiver? In original post he needs 4 rooms.:)

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yeah, two with the 722, one with the 211 and one with the 625 per the diagram. He'd have to pay $399 for the 625. Might as well make it a 612, since the diagram show it going to 1 TV and save $299, a 612 would be $100. He still has two inputs, has a bigger hard drive and can use EHD to transfer movies bewteen the two HDDVRs.

12. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The SW64 has outputs for only 4 tuners. To add a 5th you would need to add another SW64 parallel to the first, fed from splitters added to the LNB outputs, and special feed loads. It's a little simpler with 2 SW44 switches as the feed loads aren't needed. This makes the conversion to DishPro look very attractive.

DP LNBs to a DP34, when you're ready for the 5th tuner just chain another DP34 to the trunking outputs of the first, running a line to each tuner input. Or use one DPP33 switch for any combination of up to 3 single- or dual-tuner receivers, and be able to use the DPP Separator.