1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Power consumption?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mcholak, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1 of 22
    mcholak

mcholak Cool Member

Dec 27, 2011
    I'm considering upgrading to Genie for a number of reasons. One of the things I'm trying to weigh is the cost of running my two boxes now. I'm currently running a HR22-100 and an HR21-700. I've heard horror stories of DVR's using as much power as a refrigerator. I don't know that I believe that, but I don't have any way to test/confirm that. Do any of you know how much power these units are using? I'd assume the C31 uses relatively little power since there is no hard drive, tuner, etc?

2. Jun 4, 2013 #2 of 22
    Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Nope! Not anywhere close to a refrigerator!

I measured an HR24-500 once and it seem like it was somewhere around 20 Watts. I'd expect the the HR21/22/23 to be pretty close....

3. Jun 4, 2013 #3 of 22
  4. Jun 4, 2013 #4 of 22
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    They use way less energy than a 60W light bulb....I believe the figure is the 30-40W range. Not even on the same planet as a refrigerator, wherever you read that from I would stop reading info there, cos they dont have a clue.

5. Jun 4, 2013 #5 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  6. Jun 4, 2013 #6 of 22
    h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3 New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    I measured my new HR44 at 19-20 watts with my kill-a-watt, C41 client at 4 watts - didn't really change whether it was "off" or "on". My previous HR21 drew about 40 watts all the time. Cable company DVRs that get really hot to the touch could certainly be using more power - my 21ft3 fridge uses 260W with the compressor running but only 6W when it's not for an average of about 60W over time.

7. Jun 4, 2013 #7 of 22
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The HR2x series consume about 24W (203kWh/year) (NOT including the 5W DECA adapter) according to Steve Dulac, a director in DIRECTV's Engineering Department. The Genie is just a little over 29W (240kWh/year.

DECA makes up quite a bit of the C31/C41 power cost. Dulac's numbers are 6W when "active" and 5W when inactive for a net of 31kWh/year.

In the grand scheme you're probably looking at a difference of less than $10/year between worst case and best case (unless you live in Hawaii).

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/downloads/DirecTV-Dulac.pdf

8. Jun 4, 2013 #8 of 22
    Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Interesting that in 2016 they'll be an RVU client that can do "deep sleep". Thanks for posting.

9. Jun 4, 2013 #9 of 22
    Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Also Genie going down another 2 watts in the future.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    My R22 and R15's use about 25 watts. You save a big 2 watts by putting them in standby (whoppee). My D12 takes about 6 watts.
    My EnergyStar Fridgidare refrigerator which is only a couple years old takes 100 watts (but, of course, it doesn't run 24 hours a day like a DVR). So considering how often the refrigerator runs (about 25% of the time) your assumption is correct-a DirecTV DVR takes as much electricity as a modern refrigerator!! :money:

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've measured about 32 watts per box. You'd be better off changing a light bulb (or several) to CFL or LEDs. Something that's not productive.

12. mcholak

mcholak Cool Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies and information! To clarify, I've read that some DVR's use as much power as a refrigerator, not that DTV's specifically do.

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    On that same note, does anyone know how much power the SWM-8, SWM-16 and SWM LNB use. Both of the external switches can run hot.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    SWM16 is about 17 watts, not including the power it supplies the legacy LNB (another 9 watts or so) Sonora has a doc on this with more information on power draws than you'd ever want to know, though it doesn't include a SWM LNB.

http://sonoradesign.com/skins/sonora/customer/uploads/POWER_sheet.pdf

A device doesn't need to draw a lot of power to get extremely hot. It just needs to either not dissipate its heat through the air very well, and/or have a lot of its heat concentrated in a small area. Even a device that draws only a tenth fo a watt would get extremely hot in a vacuum (not that most of us run our SWM16s that way)

15. h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3 New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    My SWM LNB adapter says max 25W on the label - a friend has my kill-a-watt temporarily.

16. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm just curious if everyone who responded to this discussion has multiple DVR's/HD-DVR's and is questioning the power consumption/usage.

I've never really bothered to look at my electric bill in comparison to my neighbors/friends, but with less money in my pocket this year we've started to look at ways to cut monthly costs....and the electric bill is the focus now. My neighbors bills aren't as high as mine. They also don't have 3 kids....or 8 DVR's in their household....and laptops and xbox's and....you get the idea.

I currently have 5 HD-DVR's (all in the HR20-HR 23 range). I also have 3 Directv Non-HD Dvr's.

Suffice to say my electric bill is like a car payment.

Obviously the level of recording we do in my house has the hard drives spinning all day/night.

Just wondering how much of my monthly bill is coming from the DVR portion of the electronics in my house.

Guess my question is: Does anyone have 8 DVR's running in your household? Your electric bill over $300/mth? You live in the northeast?

I'm going to have to get a hold of one of those kill-a-watt units to check how much draw my units are pulling on average.

:eek2:

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While the $300 gets your attention, what is your average kilowatt/day?
    A rough count of 8 DVRs would be about 5 kilowatts/day, or two 100 watt lights running 24 hours.

18. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I really try not to worry about it.....until I read threads like this. :eek2: Luckily Mrs. K pays all the bills so it's a bit of "out of sight, out of mind" for me. When I look around the house I kind of shudder at what we have plugged in and running at some level. We've got iPad chargers, iPhone chargers, Harmony remote control chargers, wireless house phone system with a base and five handsets all on chargers, three DirecTV DVR's and a SWM16, three desktops and two laptops, all sorts of LAN routers/switches wired and wireless all on transformers, and the list goes on and on. That's not to mention the normal things in life like lights, blowers for our dual zone AC, refrigerators (2), freezer, washing machine and dryer, and my biggie is that several thousand gallon pool in my backyard with its three pumps. Yep.....the more I think about it the more I don't want to think about it. :sure:

19. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    Lol. That's the spirit! That's where my mind was always at....until now. And I've got most of what you describe above...especially the electronics...in spades!

20. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    I will have to check what the KW/day is on our bill. Add in the fact that the kids don't seem to understand how to hit the "sleep" button on their TV's when they fall asleep....or shut down their laptops....or turn off their xbox/ps3's/tablets when they are plugged in and charging.

It was pure torture living with them when Sandy hit! You never realize just how much *stuff* you have plugged in until you try and use a portable generator for a few hours at a time!