1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power drill and signal loss

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dmspen, Dec 14, 2011.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Apparently my upstairs bathroom, PC, laser printer and downstairs DISH 722k are on the same power circuit. Our shower is getting rebuilt and when a large power tool is used, like a drill, I get a signal loss on my 722k downstairs!

It has also happened when someone prints from the laser and lights are on. Very bad...

2. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Sounds like voltage drop...after the remodel may want a qualified electrian to go through the place? One circute on two floors isnt the norm.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    +1

4. StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    After? Do it now while walls are open.

5. joegr

joegr Cool Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Sounds like the voltage differential between neutral and ground is going too high, probably because of a high resistance connection somewhere on the neutral line.

6. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Hmmm. The words 'qualified electrician' make my wallet quake.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Ok - try "FIRE DUE TO ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS".

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Tell the guy not to drill through the coax next time.

9. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    um....well? I would say that the bathroom(upstairs) goes through the lower level first....So it wont matter..

Bathrooms since the mid 70's should be on there own circuit( blow dryers are 1500w) one blow dryer eats a whole 15A. circuit....

Even if all the walls upstars are open, how will you get the new line up there?
    You wont...you will find were it feeds downstair,s and split it there....

10. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Sure is funny...

You know the saying a plumber makes a mistake you get a leak.

an electrician makes a mistake it does one of two things, it blows up or starts a fire.

So If I invest my hard earned money were my family will live, I would consider it money well spent..

but thats me, there is a time and a place to be cheap, to me thats not the place....Drywaller, painter, ect...cut a corner there if you realy have to!!!!

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Speel chuckers werk wonderz.

12. StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I don't do electrical for a living, but I have done a fair share.

As someone said, bathrooms should be on their own circuit. It however is not uncommon to find stacked receptacles in some houses.

I mainly do low voltage, anytime a wall is open is an opportunity to check things out and update.

It sounds like you have an issue, if you can't diagnose and fix it yourself, it's best to get someone who can.