1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Inserter Question?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dahenny, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 4, 2007 #1 of 15
    dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    In a few weeks when I upgrade to a 1000+, I'm wondering if the power inserter I currently have with my SW64 switch works with the DPP44 switch? I see the 44's on ebay with & without the inserters.
    THANKS!
    Don

2. May 4, 2007 #2 of 15
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I would hope the new power inserter is much better suited to the task.

3. dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    No offense John, but is there a more definitive answer out there than "hope"???:grin: :grin: :grin:

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Doesn't a power inserter come with a new DPP44 switch? Mine did. I wouldn't think it would be worth buying without the power inserter, even IF it could be used without it in some installations... since it is meant to have a power inserter, I wouldn't buy one that didn't come with it.

5. tasp

tasp AllStar

Mar 2, 2007
    DISH home office sent me a DPP44 w/o a power inserter.

And it worked fine without it.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The DPP44 draws more amperage than a standard switch.

Powering it with a receiver will work, but stresses the power supply in the receiver.

7. dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    It seems reasonable to me that "if" a receiver can power the dpp44 (even at a strain), SURELY the power inserter I use with my sw64 will power the dpp44. AM I WRONG HERE???

8. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You need to check to see that the Voltage characteristics are the same. Also, the inserter may be different, due to the increased bandwidth of the DPP system.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Quite possibly. The power supply for the SW64 looks considerably smaller than the DPP44 brick.

That being said, the same question came up 11 months ago: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=59233

10. dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    OK...THANKS
    I found a dpp44 for 45 bucks, but has no inserter. boba suggests that the inserters are the same. I'll investigate.:grin:

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    During the installation of my Dish1000+ stup... my ViP622 actually did come up working before we put in the power inserter... surprised both the installer and me... but we both agreed that it wasn't designed to work that way, and promptly powered things down and put the power inserter in where it belonged.

There's lots of electronic things that will appear to be working, but are just barely doing so and as someone else said putting additional strain on the receiver power supply... and there's usually a good reason why a company designs and requires something like a power inserter even if it appears to be optional.

I'd accept a free DPP44 without a power inserter... and possibly even in trade if replacing a bad switch but I knew my current power inserter was still good... but if I was doing a new installation that required the switch, I wouldn't buy the switch unless I got the power inserter with it. Not expecting the inserter to be free but it should be part of the deal in my opinion.

12. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I was sent a DPP44 and inserter with my 1000-PLUS.

Do you qualify for locals on 118?
    Do you subscribe to internationals?

Or did you just go buy your own 1000+? If you qualify for that dish type, it should come with the switch required to make it operate.

Just my 2 cents.

13. dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Jason...no internationals...I do qualify for HD locals on 118
    I am a firm believer in owning, so I am systematically*sp purchasing all of my equipment. Am looking for bargains and came across this dpp44 for $45, and thought I might get it IF my current SW64 power inserter is compatible. If not, I'll just keep looking. I see them alot for around $100 with the inserter. Full retail is completely out of the question.:coolglass:

14. dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Jason, when were you at my house with your camera to get your avatar???:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    That's not all of them either my friend.... ;)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.