1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power off 508 PVR yes/no maybe?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Brew, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brew

Brew New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Hello all,

Couple of quick questions.

Does the 508 need to be powered off to receive the updated guide? (Like my old 7200?)

Also, is there a way to turn the 508 off while recording? What I mean exactly is... if the 508 starts a arecording on its own. It will shut itself off. If however while I'm watching a PVR event, it will start to record. Then I will leave, can I do something so that the unit will turn itself off when its done recording?

TIA

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, you should power off the 508 to receive the updated guide.

No, there is nothing you can do so that the unit will turn itself off after recording if you performed any actions.

3. samo

samo Mentor

Nov 9, 2002
    With 168 after you push record you have 4 options. You can select to stop recrding at the end of the show or set custom timer.

4. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    The 501, 508 if it is off when a timer is to fire, will turn itself on, record the show, and turn itself back off, if I am not mistaken.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Correct, and if there is any user input while it is on it will stay on. I think that is true for all the receivers with timers. They won't shut off in this case because there is no way to know when you are done watching.

Brew, the DP doesn't have to be off to get guide updates. Come 3 a.m. it will interrupt whatever you are watching for the download. It does give a 5 minute warning allowing you to put off the d/l until tomorrow.

6. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    The 4700/4900 would turn on by itself then turn off by itself, I heard that the 301's will not do that although I do not know if that is true or not if it will turn off after it turned itself back on, I know it turns itself on, the 501/508 will and 721 does not have to because it records with the receiver off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.