1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power off for software download ?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by spartanrob, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartanrob

spartanrob AllStar

Apr 19, 2002
    Sorry, I'm still new. Does it matter how you power off the unit (front panel or remote) I want to make sure I get all of the new software releases. Thanks

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Yes powering off from the front panel puts your unit in standby mode, from here your receiver looks for and downloads software updates.

I dont know why shutting off the power from the remote does not do the same thing.

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Scott, putting the unit into standby mode from the power button on the remote does exactly the same thing as putting the unit into standby mode from the power button on the front panel. You just can't do a system reset with the remote. Where did you hear otherwise?

4. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    It like this on my Dish 6000 and my 3900, if I turn them off with my remotes I never get the software update, however when I shut them off with the front power button I get the updates no problem.

5. EvanS

EvanS Legend/Supporter

Mar 27, 2002
    I always turn mine "off" with the remote and everything spins down in the same manner and in the same amount of time as if I did front pannel - I get my updates in line with everyone else.
    As a matter of fact my front panel buttons are monster-proofed.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I've never had any problems getting the updates when the unit is turned off from the remote...in fact I don't think I've ever even touched the front panel power button except to do a hard reset.

7. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Hmm wierd. Maybe my box was not in the cue when I shut them off with my remote.

You learn something every day! (Please no old dog new trick jokes) :D

8. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I can't figure out why I got the P154 upgrade so quick, usually I'm one of the last ones. :shrug:

I never did receive the 8 min video on the Search and Caller ID. :confused:

9. Tony S

Tony S AllStar

Mar 28, 2002
    I have to agree with the others...I have never shut off my 501 from the front panel, and I still get the software updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.