1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Power saver mode on HR2x? Worth it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SParker, Jun 22, 2013.

1. SParker

SParker New Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Was wonder if the power saver mode does anything or if its worthless? A lot of times I'm not watching TV and its just sucking power.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Worthless. you only save about 1 kWh.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The benefit isn't in savings on the receiver itself, its on the TV connected to it.

4. SParker

SParker New Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Ahhh okay thanks. Was hoping the receiver hybernated or something.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It basically shuts down the inputs and the LEDs that's about it

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Setting the TV to turn off when it loses an input signal is where the real savings are.

7. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I especially like it when I forget to turn off the TV and leave the house, and have power saving mode on, so it shuts off the receiver then the tv when there's no input signal, I purposely leave the TV on sometimes:) but not just on the receiver but also on the laptop connected to the TV via hdmi cable, when the computer automatically goes to sleep mode then TV shuts off also when there's no signal.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The receivers cannot hybernate as they need to keep updating the guide data and firmware as it becomes available.

9. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    My Samsung doesn't do this or have a setting to make it do this its an LCD 1080p with 3 HDMIs

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What model and year?
    Did you check under Tools on the remote?

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It probably does. Even my 5 year old Panasonic has a 5 minute no signal shutoff feature.

12. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Well mine is set to powersaving and when it powers up you cant rewind any live shows when its asleep. So I would think you would also be saving wear and tear on the HardDrive while its asleep

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    No, the drive is still in use processing guide data, your todo list, etc.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    A system that needs to keep itself awake because of scheduling when you are not using it (including unexpected changes in scheduling) cannot ever truly hibernate.

The power saving mode on the DVRs is window dressing.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The HDD is always spinning whether the unit is in standby or not...

16. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It means that the "live buffer" which normally is always being updated on the last channel that was being watched isn't.

When you watch live DirecTV, the receiver is also recording (and keeping) the last 90 minutes of the channel you are watching. That is how you can "rewind live TV". If you press SELECT you can see this buffer (and how big it is) in the control bar at the bottom of the screeen. Unlike the orange bar you see when playing back a recording the live buffer is green.

If it really does stop live buffering when the power saver is on that is a good thing. Even if the drive is spinning and updating it's guide info and TO DO listings, it is doing considerably fewer disc accesses if it also doesn't have to keep a live buffer.

Has anyone else confirmed that this is true?