1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Power use of various DirecTV receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tyoffice, May 25, 2010.

1. tyoffice

tyoffice New Member

May 25, 2010
    Has anyone measured the power use of their DirecTV receiver with a kill-a-watt or watts-up meter?

I measured my H23-600 with a watts-up pro meter and it averages 19.3 Watts in active modes (watch/record) and 18.0 Watts in standby/off mode.

I'm curious which models are the most efficient. Maybe we could get a thread going of people who have both a power meter and a DirecTV receiver.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
  3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The DirecTV DVR's (R15, R22, HR's) pull between 20-25 watts depending on the input voltage, if it is turned "on", and if the fan is running. The DirecTV non-DVR receivers pull about 10 watts.

I turn my R22 and one of my R15's off (remove AC power) during the day when they are not recording anything as I have "time of use" electric rates and my daytime rate is about $0.25 per kWh. This saves me over $3 a month which almost pays the "lease" fee for one of them and they don't seem any worse for wear since I've been doing it for years now!!