1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powering SWM16

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by thetoad30, Jul 2, 2012.

1. thetoad30

thetoad30 Cool Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Hello,

I did a search but couldn't really find an answer to my question.

I am looking at getting an install through the mover's connection, and am considering a SWM16. The house is a new-build, and has two data and two coax running to the outside of the home.

Since my SWM16 requires two cables, I wanted to avoid putting a hole into a new home for a third cable just for power.

Can I instead run the SWM16 from the SWM/1 port and run the IRD end of the power injector to either a SWM splitter or directly attach to a run that goes to a receiver?

Thank you.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    YEs

3. thetoad30

thetoad30 Cool Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Thank you.

Can you clarify my last question, though? Does the PI have to run directly to a receiver or can it sit in the basement prior to the SWM splitter?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would not run the PI before the splitter. First of all it may not be far enough away from the SWiM. 15 cable-feet is recommended between the SWiM and the PI.

You can run a line to the PI to port #1 (the red port) and from there... I don't recommend passing the line through to a receiver but DIRECTV does allow it.

5. BennyGregg

BennyGregg Legend

Jul 17, 2009
    What are the possible consequences of connecting an IRD to the IRD output of the power supply?

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The internal DC voltage blocking capacitor of the PI has been known to cause problems with the IRD's tuners if placed too close.

At a minimum maybe 3 feet between the PI and IRD should be observed when connecting a receiver the PI's "to IRD" port.

7. thetoad30

thetoad30 Cool Member

Sep 15, 2008
    I was wondering the same thing. In fact, in my current system that was installed by DTV (a contractor I assume since it was his truck and not a DTV van), the dish is maybe 10 feet of line away, through a splitter, that is grounded to the A/C breaker box.

The PI is then less than three feet of cable away from my HR24.

What I can say is that my new install will easily be 15 feet of cable from PI to SWM16, and then the PI will be either before a splitter or on 15+ feet of cable out of the IRD. I just needed to know if this was possible since I want to have everything downstairs in the basement next to the wiring closet. Plus it will get the benefit of having a full UPS instead of the little dinky UPS that the DVRs are on for power spikes.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    just a note. do you have more than 8 tuners? if not, DirecTV will not provide a SWM16 switch