1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerline Adapter Story

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by oldengineer, Jan 31, 2010.

1. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    I bought a pair of Powerline Adapters about a year ago to network the HR21 box in my office. I was never able to get more than random weak connectivity with them despite heroic efforts on my part, including replacing wall outlets, cleaning all contact surfaces, isolating outlets and only using the Adapters on them, etc, etc. I also checked my house ground setup and its good. I gave up and bought a WGA600N from D* and usd it. Its a good solution, DOD is fast and reliable.

I have a heat pump and for several years the fan would intermittently turn on 5 minutes before the compressor. The compressor has, of all things, a 5 minute low voltage delay circuit. Hmmmmmm. The system always checked OK when the HVAC tech looked at it so we figured we were getting intermittent low power from Pennsylvania Power & Light.

The plot thickens. Several years ago PP&L replaced my meter with a remote reading meter. This may have something to do with the fan-before-compressor problem. But wait - there's more ($1 to Billy Mays). My heating system doesn't have resistance auxiliary heat like most heat pumps. In the 80s PP&L came up with a Residential Thermal Storage (RTS) program to promote heat pumps. My house has a 300 gal hot water tank which was heated during off peak hours. I got ridiculously low rates for using this system. In fact they were so low that the Oil Dealers successfully sued PP&L in the 90s and forced them to cancel new installations. The tank heater control is actuated by a signal from the electric meter. So, my meter controls the Thermal Storage relay and is remotely read.

Fast forward to 2010. As of Jan 1 PP&Ls rates are deregulated. PP&L cancels the RTS program - goodbye cheap power. My rate is scheduled to increase by 40% or so. I call PP&L and they come out and disable the thermal storage relay in the meter (the relay also blocked the domestic hot water circuit). A few weeks later I notice that my heat pump compressor isn't randomly being held off any more. Hmmmm!!

The last part - I have an H21 box which I wanted to network for MRV. I was going to get another WGA600n but just for drill I connected it up with the Powerline Adapters. Bingo - a perfect connection with no manual settings required. I even have the adapter near the box plugged into a surge protector.

Logic would say that a relay controller couldn't have been the cause of my problems but who knows. It may have been faulty and chattering, injecting noise or ????

Anyhow I'm now ready for MRV beta if D* would only update my HR21-100 and H21 boxes. It'll be a good test - an HR21 directly connected to a Linksys WRT320N router, an HR21-200 connected via a WGA600N, and an H21 connected via Powerline Adapters. I hope it works because I don't want to use DECA, although switching to SWM has freed up some space in my cableways so I can probably get cat5 to my boxes if necessary.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Why don't you want to use DECA? since you have SWM already you will just need to install the DECA adapters onto the existing coax and you will be up and running (when DECA becomes available, of course).

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As I understand it with DECA, you have the adapter right at the box so that you can split out the ethernet and SAT signal. I don't think you need to run CAT5 to the boxes from the router then. Someone correct me if I'm here...

- Merg

4. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    You are correct. The signal runs through the coax. You run a patch cable from the DECA adapter to your IRD.

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    and its magic and if you don't want it something is wrong with you..... :rolleyes:

6. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    Thanks for the DECA info. When I first read the DECA thread I hadn't installed my swm8 multiswitch so the DECA schematics didn't make much sense. I revisited the thread and now I can see how DECA interfaces with SWM. It looks like the right way to go.

7. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
    You leave me no choice but to round up the usual suspects!