1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPV Expiration

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by phatmatt1215, Apr 19, 2009.

1. phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007
    Mt brother in law bought a UFC PPV fight last night(April 18). I looked to check at the expiration date and it was listed as April 20. At what time on April 20th will it disappear? He has started watching it (about 30 minutes in). Will it still disappear on him if he doesn't watch it?

2. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    i think its 24 hours from when u start watching.

3. MarkN

MarkN Legend

Jul 13, 2007
    I ordered a ppv movie back in Feb, watched it several times and is still on my recorded list

4. totoros

totoros AllStar

May 13, 2008
    I don't think it expires. Never tried ordering a UFC event before but I believe the 24 hour expiration is only for movies.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Any PPV event will have a TIMER and an EXPIRATION DATE, and the length of both can vary.

Most PPVs allow you to watch the show/event as much as you want for a 24 hour period starting when you first press PLAY (NOT when you record it). This is the TIMER. If you press PLAY again after the 24 hour period, you must purchase the PPV again. Movies generally work this way, but big events like fights and such can have different rules.

Then there is the EXPIRATION DATE. This is the date when the recording will auto-delete itself. For movies, this is usually several weeks from the air date. This allows you to keep the movie on the drive for a few weeks and potentially purchase several 24-hour viewing periods. Again, special events will have their own schedules.

In all cases, the terms of the PPV should be available on the ordering screen before you accept the charges.

6. tduffney

tduffney AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    I have bought and recorded pretty much every UFC, Afflication, Pride (in the old days) and every other MMA event on DTV PPV since about 2003 and none have ever expired. When I got my newest reciever I remember seeing some sort of message like that as well, but it didn't happen. You should be fine I think.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    As I said, "special events" will have whatever rules and restrictions their content owners dictate (including "none"), and those terms will be listed on the order screen.

8. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Special events and Adult movies are not affected by the 24hr expiration.

9. tduffney

tduffney AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    My point was that I have ordered these events lately and the order screen said it would expire 24 hours after I watched it but it didn't. So unless thats just a generic scrren they are mistaken.

10. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Have you played them all immediately following your order? Or did you wait a while? As has been stated, the 24 hour expiration timer does not begin until you press play for the first time. After the initial 24 hours, they event will remain on your drive but may need to be paid for again for you to view it.

11. tduffney

tduffney AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    I watched them while I recorded them and about a 100 times after! LOL I have never been charged again for anything. I think this rule doesn't apply to UFC/Boxing events. The disclaimer or whatever on the order screen is wrong. Has anybody actually had an event deleted from there DVR or been charged again for watching them after 24 hours?

12. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Yeah they arent. I messed up on my post and meant to say they arent but put are only. but special events have no expiration date.