1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PQ of this weekends games

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Bigworm, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 9, 2007 #1 of 18
    Bigworm

Bigworm Mentor

Sep 2, 2007
    Hi, this is my first football season in HD. I don`t have ST and only watch the games that are on the networks. The CBS game (for me it was the Texans/Chiefs) was in 1080i and had pretty bad pixelation during camera changes. The Bears/Chargers game on Fox was 720p and looked smooth and razor sharp. Then we have NBC, 1080i, and about the same as the CBS game but with a "raining" sound coming from the rear speakers. The games on ABC and ESPN are always 720p and always look superior to the other networks.

My question is why are some games broadcast in 1080i and some in 720p. Is it a decision that each individual network makes. Is this something that we can complain about, or some other problem entirely.

I`m sure this has been discussed here time and time again, but I would appreciate someone breaking it down one more time for us new guys.
    Thanks in advance.

Ernie.

2. Sep 9, 2007 #2 of 18
    gusmahler

gusmahler Legend

Aug 1, 2006
    It's not a game specific thing. It's network specific.

ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 and Fox all made the choice (a long time ago) to go with 720p.

CBS and NBC chose 1080i. You can't complain about either choice because each network has spent lots of money implementing it and aren't about to switch it now. Sounds like your problems weren't related to resolution anyway.

I believe that all other networks are also 1080i.

3. Sep 9, 2007 #3 of 18
    cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Chiefs game was perfect for me today.

4. Bigworm

Bigworm Mentor

Sep 2, 2007
    None of the games were so bad that I had to change the channel, But I ( and I`m sure everybody else for that matter) just want the best possibe picture. Like I said before I`m new to HD, but in the short time I`ve had it I can certainly tell that sports in 720 are just better period. Progressive=more frames per second=smoother picture.I don`t understand why any network would choose 1080.

5. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    That has been my experience as well (with everything, not just sports). College games on ABC look phenomenal and NFL on FOX is very good as well, while CBS usually has macroblocking. What sucks is that both of the teams I watch are AFC teams, so I'm stuck with CBS, unless, like tonight, I get the Bengals on ESPN.

6. chopperjc

chopperjc Godfather

Oct 2, 2006
    I agree with the statement. The NFL was pixelated on all broadcasts though. The fox games were better though although did still notice a lot of pixelation accross the board.

7. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007

Wait, my experience was exactly opposite, the 1080 broadcasts were sharp and the 720 were fuzzy, especially the OTA. What kind of receiver and display are you using? It could be hooked up wrong or maybe DIRECT was over compressing again. There were a few technical hiccups.

You do know that1080i has much more resolution information than 720p so it provides better PQ if your display can handle it well. For some types of motion you may notice more fuzzyness in the i PQ, primarily because its so sharp to begin with.

But my experience is the 1080i broadcasts always look better than 720 unless there is technical problems. Sometimes the OTA PQ looks better than DIRECTV, however.

8. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Dropped ST and don't have it anymore but all local HD telecasts were Good.

9. ilfn143

ilfn143 Mentor

Jul 9, 2007
    i set my receiver to native off @1080i, it take too long to change channel with native on

10. coota

coota Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I watched the Packers/Eagles game, switched over to the Redskins game a few times, and then the Bears games and the PQ was awesome on all the HD channels. A few minor audo dropouts but that was it.

11. onthecake

onthecake AllStar

Dec 11, 2006

You must not be a Chiefs fan then :)

Good Picture but Horrible Game!

12. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    The WORST PQ wise IMO are the NBC NFL telecasts.

13. gteach26

gteach26 Mentor

May 15, 2007
    Miami - Ft. Lauderdale -- Hr20

OTA and D* -- NBC games looked crystal clear BUT had LOTS of choppiness and pixelation -- it was quite annoying at times. I was mostly watching Redskins Dolphins. I was getting upset with D* but when I switched to OTA I noticed the same thing.

Does CBS have HDTV transmission issues for the NFL?????

Fox had NO PQ issues for my setup.

NBC night game had some blurry shots during the game -- pics of Dallas skyline were astonishing 3-D quality though....

14. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    I agree. NBC just cannot get their s*** together to get a good HD broadcast for any sport.

CBS on the other hand is the best in my book. Always crystal clear and great sound aswell.

15. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    This weekend the PGA golf on NBC looked like it was filmed with about 4 HD cameras and 4 cell phone cameras. I thought my eyes were going bad. One shot nice picture and the next was blurry as could be.

16. Bigworm

Bigworm Mentor

Sep 2, 2007
    As for my equipment, check the signature, and yes it`s hooked up correctly.My display has no problems with interlaced images i.e. movies, even fast moving action ones look razor sharp.
    Now as far as the resolution goes, any kind of sporting event has alot of fast motion in it, right. With a progressive scan you get 60 frames per second as opposed to only 30 with an interlacing. More frames per second= a smoother faster moving image. I agree that 1080i looks better on regular shows and movies, But I still think sports should be progressively scanned.
    But maybe were making much ado about nothing, even bad HD is still better than SD!!!:D

17. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Sad but true.

Well, that is dependent on how much multicasting your local affiliate is doing. I've seen some pretty poor HD sports on CBS...but would agree in general.

18. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    The picture looked OK on Thursday night, but sounded like the put the mics in coffee cans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.