1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PQ - Your local cable HD vs. Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sigma1914, Jun 15, 2009.

1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    In regards to just HD, does anyone here have a better and/or equal to picture quality from their local cable provider? Here in DFW, TWC isn't as crisp as Directv.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As far as cable goes, most will probably say cable is not as good, some will probably chime in and say FIOS is better, if that can be considered local cable.

3. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    +1

4. T_N_T

T_N_T Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    I would say Cable is better, they get the locals from a fiber feed(at least comcast does here) while D* gets them OTA and then re-compress them, D* and E* Locals look "soft" compared to cables version, cable almost rivals OTA.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Charter and Comcast are horrible around here. DirecTV (and Dish) hands down are better.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    My son used to have TWC and on his 46" set I could always see macroblocking on scenes with a lot of movement.

7. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    You can't use "Mediacom" and "good picture" in the same sentence. :thats:

8. micster5

micster5 Cool Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Not true in all areas. We have 3 cable systems in our metro area and only 1 takes any stations by fiber, and at that it is only 1 station. Around here all stations are demodulated by cable and satellite equally.

That said our local SD stations look like poo on D* compared to OTA, which is probably a product of recompressing the demodulated signal. The HD ones look pretty good and sharp!