1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Pre 2003 Receiver Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by toyboxgang, Apr 10, 2013.

1. toyboxgang

toyboxgang New Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Hi, I'm sure that this has been answered somewhere already, but here goes the question again. I received the following email from DTV today.... IMPORTANT INFORMATION
    WE WILL NEED TO REPLACE YOUR RECEIVER
    Some receivers that are from the year 2003 and older will be phased out in the coming months and will no longer function. Our records indicate that one or more of these receivers are active on your account. If these older receivers are not replaced soon, your receiver will no longer function and will lose access to all programming. In preparation for this broadcast transition, DIRECTV will ship newer-generation receiver(s) directly to you to replace these older receiver(s) FREE of CHARGE* and with NO NEW SERVICE AGREEMENT.

While I have no issues with the free replacement, what I am curious about is whether or not these new machines will work with the old SD 13" 'pizza' style dish?? I use one of my receivers in my RV and have the dish all set up on my rig. Will this receiver change out require me to also change out my dish on my trailer? I have a mid-generation 3 head dish in my collection, will that work or do I have to go with the 5 head SWM system that is on the side of my house??

Thanks in advance.

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Whatever they send you will work with the older style dish.

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Actually, most ALL DirecTV receivers can be used with the very first round-style dishes! I'm not sure about the Genie or others that have been released recently, but my R22 works just ducky with my Phase III dish and it would work fine with my very first round dish too!

Back to your replacement, you will probably get a D12 or possibly a D11. These SD receivers will work fine with your round dish also. You just have to go to the satellite section in the menu and configure it for an 18" round dish.

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    The only receivers that won't work with the older (non SWiM) dishes are the H25 and Genie models. You can probably get an upgrade for free if you ask (and want to).

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Let me add the RVU clients to this list as well…:)

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Well, clients don't work without Genies so... ;)

7. JohnDG

JohnDG Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Yep. Do note for planning purposes that you cannot get HD on the older dishes.

jdg

8. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Yes it has been discussed before and here is a post with all EOL receivers.

9. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    DTV is basically trying to weave customers off of the legacy receivers due to broadcast transition and as those were during the early days when they could not provide enough receivers to their growing number of customers so they got with companies like RCA for assistance.

10. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    If you tune to ch 325 and get a message that the ird needs to be replaced then there you are. Oddly I had a HNS HIRD D1 that required replacing while the Hughes GAEBO saw programming - go figure.

11. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Yes and its probably all BS.....

The recievers WILL STILL WORK. What will happen is: THEY WILL PROBABLY KILL YOUR ACCESS CARD ON YOUR CURRENT OLDER BOX TO MAKE YOU THINK IT WONT WORK!!!!!!

12. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    o_O. Yeah they will continue to work. You will lose channels. Killing the access card? I don't think so. The idea that DirecTV would expend money and man hours to get a leased box into your home just to kill your legacy receiver sounds a little extreme.

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Then why dont they just SEND EVERYONE NEW BOXS?????

Why make people CALL THEM AND CONSENT TO AN UPGRADE?? (If there is no commitment changes,no price change,etc)

Because the whole thing is suspicious thats why!!

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Ahh, hmmm….maybe to make them aware….

15. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah I think it would be more suspicious if a customer just found a D12 on their doorstep one day.
    You need to take off your tin foil hat, sir.

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Just did one last Saturday. One of my customers had an RCA DRD420 (which I have been urging him to chuck for years) and D* ponied up some free movie channels, and an HDDVR upgrade.

The tech showed up just 1 hour into the window, and I had worked with him before. He took a glance at the ancient dish on a thin piece of conduit that was also holding a big VHF-UHF yagi and a rotator 15 feet further up, then he looked at me and we both busted out laughing. And then I said wait till you see his receiver!

The tech agreed the old 420s weren't all that long lived and was surprised to see one there still plugging away. He was also surprised to see the 420 connected to a larger Sammy LCD panel.

Not surprising to me, paperwork didn't seem to show a new dish but the tech jumped right onto it with a new s tube mount and he ran new cable to the TV stand.

He also took the 420 with him when it was all done. I asked if it was going to Living History Farms, and he said it was going in the recycle bin at the hub.

Customer loves the HDDVR, he needs an AM21, badly, and I'll take care of that for him next week. Might remount the TV aerial (or replace it with a 2 way setup that seems to work pretty well in this area) on a tripod higher on the roof and delete the rotator.

I've had some other calls about this phaze out, I think most are in RVs.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Much agreed;

Wow ... unless he's just trolling for the fun of it, I really don't understand why Dude111 persists in this senseless rant of totally unfounded accusations of some kind of conspiracy on this issue.

DIRECTV is the one actually losing money in this area giving out free D12s to replace all these obsolete MPG based boxes with no contractual re-commitments. Nor has he ever submitted any evidence to demonstrate how the D12 is inferior to his or any other current MPG box much less that its a piece a "POS" in comparison beyond merely shouting it with CAPS and exclamation marks.

1 person likes this.
  18. tortured

tortured New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    I don't necessarily agree with his rant but I'm more sympathetic to his underlying issues than you.

I've been a DTV sub for over eleven years and one thing I have learned about DTV is that they don't move a muscle without a profit motive. I don't know whether a D12 receiver is a better functioning unit than my trusty old Hughes E2, but my unit has performed flawlessly over the years and I'm VERY reluctant to give it up, whether I have to lease the new unit or not. Since I don't know anything about the D12 model I won't negatively criticise it without attempting to use it.

What evidence do YOU have that "DTV is the one actually losing money ... giving out free D12s (sic) to replace all these obsolete MPG based boxes..."? It seems to me they have the cash in hand to accomplish this switchout from subscriptions. I know that I pay over $60pm to watch a handful of channels and many of my friends/acquaintances pay considerably more, so I believe it's not a significant cost for them. Also, just because the mpg on my current receiver is not the same, technologically speaking, as whatever system they are now employing doesn't mean it's obsolete; it works well enough for me, thank you.

19. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    A couple of reasons why.

1) Because some of these boxes are owned we have to make sure the customer knows the replacement will be leased. There is no net change to the customer's bill as a result, but that has to be disclosed to the customer. If boxes were just sent, that affirmative conversation couldn't happen.
    2) If you just send a box, what is no one is there to get it? Or it is delivered on the porch and it is stolen, etc. Or if a box just happened to be there and a customer would want to know why its there
    3) For some customers this is their vacation home and they aren't there, sometimes for months
    4) It gives some customers the opportunity to just discontinue that older receiver. For example, say a customer has 4 receivers on their account and one of them fits this description and it's in the kids room or the garage and rarely, if ever used. Rather than paying for a receiver to be sent out, pay for shipping, etc, etc we allow the customer to say they actually want it replaced because they might instead say that old receiver and tv there don't use much or ever anymore so just take it off the account.

Those are some of the obvious reasons, but there are others.

The new receivers deliver a better experience for customers with the newer generation receivers...they are faster, can display more channels, have interactivity, etc, etc. These legacy receivers go back to 1994 in a day when local channels weren't offered on Directv, far far fewer channels even existed, no interactivity, etc. That older guide uses up separate bandwidth and operates on hardware that is quite dated (no receiver since 2003 uses that guide). That guide has gone beyond it's intended life and because there are so few of these receivers left out there the time to reclaim that bandwidth to be used for other things will be utilized. It also allows for better use of resources at the broadcast centers so they only have to monitor one guide that serves 100% of customers rather than two guides that serve 99% and 1% respectively. There are a myriad of other reasons, but those are some of the highlights.

20. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    In the near future, the old guide will be shut down and that will prevent any of the channels from working on those boxes that use that guide.