1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Pre-season Football Blackout?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dcandmc, Aug 29, 2013.

1. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but why is the Giants-Patriots preseason game that is being shown live on the NFL Network blacked out for me at home in Maine? I get a "This program is not available in your area" message on channel 212. I was at a local watering hole earlier in the evening, and the game was on there. At home, nada. Is this some kind of NFL Network / bar conspiracy to get football fans out of the house and to the public tavern on game night?

2. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Bangor and Portland are carrying the game on local affiliates, and local affiliates are always protected from national competition in the NFL.

No conspiracy.

3. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend DBSTalk Club

Dec 13, 2012
    Local affiliates have the rights to the channel in market.

Attached Files:

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm surprised game search didn't kick in and find the game for him on his local channel.

5. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Yeah, my bad. Silly me, I was using the DirecTV on -screen programming guide to see if the game was on a local. The guide didn't show the game on anything other than NFL Network.

6. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Well, it is a conspiracy. Just not the between bars and the NFL. :)

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I saw it was on the DNS feed for the NY CBS feed.

8. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    I see the smiley, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Like or hate the NFL, they've always made sure that the local team is always available on free TV, assuming the game is at least close to sold out.

9. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend DBSTalk Club

Dec 13, 2012
    Pretty sure he was just joking with that hence the smiley.

They were potentially available if you look at post 3 you'll see what channel had the rights to the game. However those channels can choose not to show the game and it will still be blacked out usually due to a sub channel or a partial showing.

10. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Yeah, I said I saw the smiley. I just didn't understand the joke.

11. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I think the Bills/Lions game was blacked out. It showed in my guide, on my local CBS affiliate, but when I tuned there, no game.