1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Wire for upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by GPro, Nov 29, 2008.

1. GPro

GPro New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hello,

I currently have DTV SD to one room. I am going to upgrad to HD and add an additional 2 or 3 rooms.

I have pretty good access under my house and will pre-wire each room if it's needed. I really don't want a bunch of wires strung all over the place or entering the house at seperate locations for each room.

Is there anything I can do to pre-wire these rooms?

The overall service I'm considering is:

HD / DVR in main room
    HD in Den
    HD in one or two bedrooms

Thanks for any help.

GPro

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    run 3 RG6 solid copper core lines to each location. mark each end so you can tell which is which. that way you have wires for HD DVRs without a swm or with a swm,, and a spare or OTA. run them all to one location so that you can put in a switch or spitter or whatever. plan on running cat 6 cable to each location as well.

3. asjamias

asjamias AllStar

Dec 3, 2007
    don't forget to drop also a couple of Cat5E for either ethernet or phone....

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    I said Cat6 which is better, and more reliable

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Good plan! Cable is relatively cheap; installation is expensive, so since it isn't much harder to pull 3-4 cables instead of just 1, it is MUCH smarter to go ahead and do it. You never know what you'll want/need a year or two from now, but if you follow Curt's advice, you'll probably be ready for it, even if you don't need it today.

BTW, in most of my rooms, I have 3 coax and 3 CAT6 going to a 6-outlet keystone wallplate (1 of the 3 CAT6 is terminated with phone jacks instead of Ethernet, but the cable is there and can be easily converted later if need be). I have double that in the livingroom, where I have my main entertainment setup. It really helps to simplify testing equipment, which is something I also do frequently (I have both DirecTV and DishNetwork dishes installed). In my case, it helped that I have a single-story house with a fairly empty crawlspace.

6. GPro

GPro New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks for all the input. I think you're all right, might as well run all the cables now then I won't have to go under the house again. :grin:

GPro

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I thought that once. I've been back in the crawlspace a dozen times since :D

8. sadoun

sadoun AllStar

May 28, 2002
    Also, don't forget to use compression type connectors instead of the crimp type. Better performance overall. I would recommend the PPC EX6XL or equivalent.

9. asjamias

asjamias AllStar

Dec 3, 2007
    what made you say Cat6 is more reliable, better probably just because of the rated bandwidth which I doubt the OP would use right now and is probably overkill. Even Cat5 can do gig bandwidth if wired properly.

10. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    I too have 6 RG6 cables and 4 CAT6 lines run to each room where i have TV (living room, bedrooms and kitchen) 2 RG6 lines for direct, 2 for dish, 1 for OTA and 1 for sirius. then, 1 CAT6 for Ethernet, 1 for phone and 2 spares for future use.... :hurah:

of course this is all ran into a central location where my muti-switch & hub (Ethernet and phone) are located... I found a house in town where the owners where remodeling and gave me a nice panel box to make my central location... I cut the drywall out next to my electrical panel box and mounted it next to that ... so, all my stuff is hidden in the wall and i have a nice access door to get to it:goodjob: :goodjob: