1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premium Channel Premieres: June 2010

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by bdowell, Apr 30, 2010.

1. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    HBO
    HBO June info (from the May 2010 downloadable schedule): New seasons of original HBO series Entourage, True Blood and Hung as well as major films Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    • State of Play (Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Helen Mirren, Robin Wright, Jason Bateman, Jeff Daniels) 6/5 8PM
    • World Championship Boxing: Forman v. Cotto, Martirosyan v. Greene 10PM
    • X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston) 6/12 8PM
    • Robert Klien: Unfair & Unbalanced 10PM
    • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Daniel Radcliffe, Michael Gambon, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Jim Broadbent, Maggie Smith) 6/19 8PM
    • Funny People (Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Leslie Mann, Eric Bana, Jonah Hill, Jason Schwartzman) 6/26 8PM

Cinemax
    Cinemax June info (from the May 2010 downloadable schedule): Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian and Bruno
    • The Limits of Control TUESDAY 6/1 6:15AM
    • Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (Ben Stiller, Amy Adams, Owen Wilson, Hank Azaria, Robin Williams, Christopher Guest) 6/5
    • Bruno (Sacha Baron Cohen and a cast of clueless individuals) 6/12
    • White Out 6/19
    • A Perfect Getaway (Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant, Milla Jovovich, Kiele Sanchez, Marley Shelton, Chris Hemsworth) 6/26

Starz
    And a heads-up on Starz in June (Saturday nights, 9PM):
    • District 9 (Sharlto Copley, Jason Cope) 6/5
    • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan) 6/12
    • Michael Jackson's This Is It (Michael Jackson, Kenny Ortega - Director) 6/19
    • The Proposal (Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Betty White) 6/26
    (Starz info originally compliments of info found by Pablo and noted in the May thread)

Encore Highlights:
    • In the House – ½ hour entertainment & news show with Peter Bart & Peter Guber – Thurs. 7:30 p.m.
    • Spotlight on Adam Sandler – Nine films he starred, produced and or wrote, beginning June 25 at 10:00 a.m.
    • Karate Kid Marathon – Kick off the new KK movie with some old Ralph Macchio, Thurs, June 18 at 8:00 p.m.

Showtime
    Let's see if we can fill in a few of the blanks for Showtime. :)

The Movie Channel
    It looks like The Movie Channel will be continuing their Splatterday on Saturdays line-up of horror themed films (double feature of horror themed movies on Saturday nites actually) for June.
    (If you aren't a horror fan then it seems that The Movie Channel is going to have slim pickin's for you :()

2. May 7, 2010 #2 of 15
    Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    Looking forward to HBO's summer series and District 9 on Starz.

3. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    That should look a little better now (most of the info has been flushed out, though the last weekend of June is still a mystery since HBO's schedule is such a total pain in the rear to use and won't let anyone look ahead more than 5 weeks.

Speaking of which, if you'd like this information sooner, please visit the HBO site and use the contact us links and other feedback areas to suggest that their current online schedule system is absolute junk and useless to their customers. I've done that, as well as written to the CEO at Time-Warner (as a stockholder in that company, I'm appalled that they are so lacking in taking advantage of free viral marketing to help advertise and promote their product offerings) to complain. I was supposed to get something directly from HBO (HA!), but, well, you get the idea.

Thankfully MAX uses a different (and more useful) system so it's easier to peek ahead at their offerings.

4. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Bruno is literally the worst movie I have ever seen. I am a big fan of Sacha Baron Cohen but I really wish I had not watched Bruno.

5. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    A mid-week unannounced premiere:

SHO: In the Loop 6/3 9PM

Also not a premium channel, but IFC will have Antichrist on 6/3 at 12AM.

6. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
  7. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    I lost the comments that I was typing up about the various films that I knew something about, but will add a couple of quick words here (the original comments were wiped by a careless slip of my fingers across my touchpad on my laptop as I was typing)....

Bruno was pretty gawd-awful. My kids talked me into going to that after their mother was killed in a car wreck last summer. I didn't want to be a spoil sport so I took them to that film when they asked to go. The alternative was Harry Potter which they went to with their Uncle&Aunt and their cousins a day or two later. I wish we'd have seen Harry Potter. By the end of Bruno we were the only ones left in the the theatre of the 12 - 14 people that had paid for tickets (or seemed to have paid for tickets).

I rented In the Loop and then bought a copy of it on Blu-ray. It was pretty good. I loaned the Blu-ray to friends and they seemed to enjoy it as well. I'm expecting that my son will really enjoy it also.

State of Play was a decent flick in the political intrique genre. Somewhat predictable, but pretty good.

I did eventually see Harry Potter and the half-blood Prince (on Blu-ray, not in theatres). Since the series is coming to it's conclusion and ultimate climax it's getting darker and more serious and scary where earlier stories in the series were more light-hearted. If you've seen the earlier stories in the series then you've probably aged along with the actors in the films and have grown more mature so it doesn't bother you, though younger audiences may find it a little stressful.

The Proposal is a decent rom-com though I think seeing it on cable/satellite is going to leave viewers with a bit of a loss... the Blu-ray included an alternate ending that I thought was pretty good, and probably a bit better and more humorous and fun than the ending that was used for the theatrical release.

Valkyrie was better than I thought it would be. History buffs will likely enjoy it.

8. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    More Premieres - June 1 - June 7

Wed, June 2 8:00pm HDMV
    Ondine
    Colin Farrell, Alicja Bachleda, Alison Barry. (2009) An Irish fisherman finds a woman in his nets and thinks he has caught a mermaid.

Fri, June 4 7:00pm SHO
    How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
    Simon Pegg, Kirsten Dunst, Danny Huston. (2008) A British journalist in New York offends those he seeks to impress.

Sun, June 6 1:30pm HBO
    Aliens in the Attic
    Carter Jenkins, Austin Butler, Ashley Tisdale. (2009) Vacationing youths battle an invading force of tiny aliens bent on conquering Earth

Sun, June 6 8:00pm EPIX1
    Star Trek
    Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Leonard Nimoy. (2009) Young James T. Kirk, Spock and the rest of the Enterprise crew embark on a collision course with a vengeful Romulan.

Mon, June 7 10:30pm HBO
    Away We Go
    John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph, Jeff Daniels. (2009) An expectant couple search America for a place to raise their family.

9. donbean

donbean AllStar

Mar 13, 2010
    thats tough BDowell... i know life is not so easy sometimes.. and I dont mean the movie :)

10. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    As was said in a famous movie... "Life is like a box of choc-o-lates..." Seriously, you never know what you'll get and I suppose in the end it's a lot better that way otherwise you'd spend way too much time fretting over what you knew was coming. (Actually that reminds me of another film, but I won't spoil it at this time... when it shows up on the premiums, I may mention it again :) )

My wife did enjoy her time here on Earth, or at least I think she did. Our relationship had it's ups and downs, but it made it through 26+ years (25 married) and before she was killed we'd gone off on a nice vacation to celebrate our anniversary. She had a pretty good time on that trip and was totally wrapped up in her 30th high school reunion celebration that was happening when we got back (over 3 weekends as she'd planned for multiple parties for the event).

Thankfully my children are both older and their mother gave them a great start in life. She was mostly a stay at home mom so she got to spend a great deal of time with both kids as they were growing up. My youngest (daughter) was hit hard with the loss, but it's also has helped to push us (her and I) closer together. Mom was her best friend, and she never wanted to bother me for anything. While it was never a bother, and I would do anything for her, she just felt more comfortable with mom. Now that mom isn't there for her, she has opened up some with me and has let fill part of that "fun" & "friend" role that her mother was so good at.

I miss watching movies with my wife as that had become one or regular date night type events, but my daughter tries to share that experience at times too (when she's in the mood for it). Thankfully the last few months have been somewhat sparce for Blu-ray releases, but we have caught a few theatrical releases that we're looking forward to seeing again soon and there are some other new releases that we didn't yet see which should provide some interesting viewing later.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I do appreciate the thoughts. Thankfully time marches on.

11. donbean

donbean AllStar

Mar 13, 2010
    sounds like you made some good lemonade from the lemons.. have a good day.. thanks for posting..

12. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    SHO: Extract 6/29 2:15AM

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't know about anyone else who finds themselves with EpixHD and EpixHD2 in their Dish Network Platinum package, but it appears to be a pain to find any premiers - there are no announcements in some guide I can find. That makes it hard to take advantage of having these channels, as they are going to be premiering shows. From their web site:
    russ9 listed the 2009 "StarTrek" which is on tonight. What I decided to do today is list all 2009 movies that are showing over the next couple of weeks. I don't know that this is the first time all of these are appearing on a premium channel. And many are probably crap. But here they are with the next time they will be shown (in Pacific Daylight Time) and with links to IMDb:

Star Trek Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:00 PM EpixHD
    Crank: High Voltage Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:30 PM EpixHD
    Know Thy Enemy Sunday, June 06, 2010 10:00 PM EpixHD2
    Hit and Run Monday, June 07, 2010 2:00 AM EpixHD
    Circle of Eight Monday, June 07, 2010 11:45 AM EpixHD2
    The Cove Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:00 PM EpixHD
    Dance Flick Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:00 PM EpixHD
    New in Town Saturday, June 12, 2010 6:30 PM EpixHD2
    The Haunting in Connecticut Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:30 PM EpixHD
    The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:00 PM EpixHD
    Madea Goes to Jail Friday, June 18, 2010 5:00 PM EpixHD
    Additions:
    G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:30 PM EpixHD
    Carriers Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:30 PM EpixHD
    More Additions:
    My Bloody Valentine Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:00 PM EpixHD
    The Pink Panther 2 Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:00 PM EpixHD
    Imagine That Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:00 PM EpixHD
    Janeane Garofalo: If You Will Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:00 PM EpixHD

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Just to weight in with support of these posts by bdowell. I am filling my dvr and I thank all of you for the updates.

15. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    Over the weekend, I caught the premieres of both District 9 and State of Play -- both were very good. :up: