1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Premium Channel Premieres: October 2009

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by pablo, Aug 27, 2009.

1. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    In the absence of the inimitable bdowell (hopefully he'll be back soon enough, but no rush), I've taken the reins over with these monthly posts about all the wonderful new movies premiering on the various premium channels.

I'll use some of bdowell's formatting, so all is uniform.

Note that I'll update this thread as information becomes available and if I have any available time. As always, everyone will hopefully of course appreciate any information you may be able to add. If you find the information useful, you may wish to subscribe to this thread so you'll receive e-mails as information is added :)

All premieres on Saturdays, unless otherwise noted.

Note please that I haven't confirmed that the programs I have listed are actually premiering for the first time on these channels. These programs may have been shown on channels, or on other nites before the dates shown. The information below is just a look at the list of movies and major programs that are upcoming and seem to be showing for the 'first time' (on the network that is shown) on the dates noted.

Starz

HBO

Cinemax

Showtime

There may be other mid-week premieres, as usual. Will note those as I discover them.

2. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    Hopefully the premiers on the other premiums are better. Only Starz premiere I am interested in is Seven Pounds.

3. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    HBO and Cinemax added. Showtime added as well, but unless I'm missing something they only have a single premiere this month.

4. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    This is an awesome movie....

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've seen Australia a couple times. Downloaded it on VOD to compare it to my BD players PQ and got a BR disk at Hollywood. Good movie. Predictable, but well made and well scripted. I'd rate this as a "don't miss" movie.

Rise of the Lycans was good too.

Rich

6. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    Making a brief appearance as time allows a bit...

The comments on Australia inspire some thoughts of my own. I watched (and reviewed) it when it was first released to Blu-ray back in the late winter/early spring (March 2009). My wife watched it with me and later claimed that she loved the movie, though when we originally started watching the film it seemed to be a disjointed mess.

It started out as a serious film, then jumped into screwball comedy, then back to serious and was all over the map. As a whole, I think it came out well, and that is probably what my wife would say now if she were alive to say so. I think she found the film enjoyable by the end and probably blotted out the complaints we had in watching the first (roughly) 1/3 of the film as we enjoyed the final portions of the film a lot more than the early part.

I'd say it was worth viewing, but it was about 30 - 40 minutes longer than it needed to be, or at least it would be a better film if it was more focused in style (which could be done by cutting 30 - 40 minutes out).

I've almost bought a copy on Blu-ray, despite originally coming up with a 'rent it' type recommendation, but that would mostly be in memory of my wife and her enjoyment of the film. Personally, I'd probably not bother with rewatching the film, though I wouldn't rush to change the channel if I saw it was on. (At least not if I was watching the last half or so of the film.)

7. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Great thread and great comments. I am glad these types of threads are posted.

8. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Was there any diference in quality?

Good movie, very long though.