1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Prepay Autopay Bill

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ricksterinps, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ricksterinps

ricksterinps Mentor

Oct 11, 2007
    Hello all.

I was a DirecTV customer for 8 years and left them to Dish for a number of reasons and I'm extremely pleased with everything, especially the Hopper.

I was set up with AutoPay so that I could get the FreeHD and I really have no problems with it, however, my wife and I are teachers and we get paid once a month and like to take care of all the bills at the beginning of each month. Our bill arrives around the 5th of each month, but it doesn't get paid until later when it's due.

I understand that this is what normally happens, but what will happen if I start paying it earlier than the due date? Will the autopay still deduct the billed amount even though the account balance amount is $0.00?

I didn't have autopay on Directv, so I really don't know the ins and outs. I searched, but all I could really find are issues about updating credit card info (thanks for that heads up).

Thanks for any info.

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Autopay will deduct the amount that is "owed" up to the amount that was billed on the payment date. Meaning if you owe less than the billed amount you will pay less, if you owe more than the billed amount you will only pay the amount on the bill.

3. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    ricksterinps, I do the same as you would. I don't like to have outstanding bills due and usually log into dish and pay around the 10th of each month. Autopay doesn't kick in at all for me since I have a zero balance by the time they run their reports.
    But autopay is also a nice safety net to have. When I've been very busy and forgotten to send in a payment, autopay has taken care of that for me so I didn't get penalized.

4. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I don't know what the problem/concern is here. The autopay just charges your credit card. Depending on your the closing date for the card you use, you might not have to REALLY pay until many days later. Instead of manually paying at the dish site, just let the cash sit in your checking account waiting to pay the credit card off when it is due.

5. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011

6. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    ... or autopay debits the checking account, which is how mine is set up. I'm not recommending checking account vs credit card, but that's my preference, and it has worked fine for me.for 15 years and counting.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I personally NEVER allow any company direct access to m,y money, they can charge my credit card, and ill have my bank send my credit card the money every month. A mistake on a credit card charge means annoyances, but on a checking/debit card means your without your money till its fixed and annoyances..

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Additionally, with your credit card you can get points, miles or whatever to give you a 1-3% rebate on charges.

ALWAYS pay the total due on credit cards at the end of the month - free money with no interest!

I pay nearly all of my monthly bills via credit card and have gotten 2 PS3s, a Sony surround sound and a Sony DSLR camera with my points.

Other cards give cash rebates which is nice, too.

9. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Right. With credit cards you can pre-pay dish and other companies early and then delay on paying the card until the last minute. This gives you a more accurate estimate of how much the credit card bill will be each month. If you let companies charge you at their schedule, you have to look at the calendar and guess what the credit card bill will amount to.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well, maybe the first month or two, but once things settle in, if you have same charges each month they will be the same month to month..

11. ricksterinps

ricksterinps Mentor

Oct 11, 2007
    Thanks for all the info and it all worked out just like you said. I will be moving the payment to one of the credit cards so that I don't have to worry about it.

There really is no reason for me to have the payment done at the beginning of the month, but it makes things easier for us to know what bills are paid and which aren't in case of an emergency, etc.

Thanks again.