1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press Release: DIRECTV Further Distances Itself in 2009

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, May 19, 2009.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Following is a press release from the Investor Relations portion of DIRECTV.com:

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    In contrast to after the tech leaves :lol::lol::lol::hurah::hurah:

3. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    All I will say is Brrrrriiiiip. :grin:

4. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    Agreed

5. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    71?

That's a C- and they're patting themselves on the back?

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DISH Network's rating was a 64.

Somehow I get the idea that the same people that are telling us that the economic outlook is improving are behind the ACSI survey.

7. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Apparently it's graded on a curve. :lol:

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Well, if you're better then everyone else why not? LOL

Actually, Chase (the CEO) has talked in the last few conference calls about how they need to improve their customer service. So it's good to know that even though they are the "best", they still know they need to improve.

9. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Great job DirecTV. Here's a link to ACSI's chart. http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?op...view&id=147&Itemid=155&i=Cable+&+Satellite+TV

Interestingly, I do not see where they measured DirecTV against what I perceive is its real competitive threat in the cable/satellite market....Verizon Fios. I would have been curious to see how it compares when Fios is included or even ATT Uverse (even though that's not really any competition) in the customer satifaction survey.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    They may be included in the "All Others" category which has improved substantially over the past three years.

As for DirecTV...it's more of the same. Their rating is basically the same as it was eight years ago...that's eight years of promising better customer service/experience and no real change. It's not just them though...it's the whole industry...I guess like a lot of other companies they're only going to do the minimum necessary.

If you do a sort on all industries you can see how poorly cable/satellite is ranked. It's right down there with the airlines and cell phone companies.

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Being the best in a room full of underachievers isn't anything to be proud of. ;)

12. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    And with the worst service in the nation, we have... Charter! Couldn't agree more with those rankings.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Since DircTV set up the "case management" department, it seems like any problems I've had over the past 6 months have been handled much more expertly. Unlike in the past, they seem to get me in touch with the folks who can actually solve my problem first-time around.

I could be wrong about who's in charge of what over there, but it seems to me that ever since Ellen Filipiak joined DirecTV in 2007, customer service has really improved. /steve

14. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    And can you say "pixelization"?

15. runner26

runner26 Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    "Directv needs to improve customer service"? YA THINK????? Next they will tell us water is wet.

16. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    FIOS has such limited availability, it is irrelevant.

17. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    While I don't mind them tooting their own horn, being #1 of 2 doesn't tell the whole story.

While I've had good luck with customer service there are those who have had abysmal interactions with them. I have to agree there is improvement to be had.

I do think that DirecTV takes the goal of improvement seriously and I hope it continues to get better.

Mike

18. runner26

runner26 Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I too hope that D* is able to improve customer service. Off to a mighty slow start though.

19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Fiso and U-verse (AT&T you see is legacy cable systems, not U-Verse by itself. I do not know if U-verse got lumped in as well, but I doubt it.) are so small they probably wouldn't even be a dominant figure in the all other.. They are years away from being broken out on their own.

20. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    When this news breaks each year that DIRECTV is number one in satisfaction, I usually see similar responses, demanding how DIRECTV can be proud of being "mediocre" with a "C" grade.

This measurement is important to set standards so that deficiencies can be identified, addressed, and corrected. The report shows DIRECTV improved on last year's results, so why not crow about that? "We're working hard to serve you better."

Also, if I'm not mistaken this is the third year (maybe even longer) that I recall DIRECTV topping the chart against other providers. This is significant because for new customers concerned with quality they have a baseline against which to measure their choices. If you only have four choices, wouldn't you want to go with the higher-rated company? Even if the score is in the "C" range, DIRECTV satisfies more of its customers than DIRECTV's competitors satisfies their respective customers.

Congrats DIRECTV, keep improving those numbers.