1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PRESS RELEASE: DIRECTV to present at Wachovia Conference

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    via DIRECTV.com:

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
  3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Yup - always nice to peruse the presentation and look at the "possibilities" ... and speculate on the "when" ... :)

4. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    and how soon will be "soon"

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I may be able to listen in to this one. It's a bad time of day for me. But I'll do my best.

6. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
  7. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Stream is live, sounds like pre-talk right now.

Details on the PDF that are interesting:

*New Satellite; 200 HD channel capacity in 1H 2010
    * Multi-room DVR in 2H 2009
    * NFL Sunday Ticket over cell phones in Fall 2009
    * Broadband offering in selected markets
    * TV Apps (i.e. Widgets)
    * New User Interface in 2010
    * Media Server in 2010

A few very interesting points there.

He's pretty much going right by the PDF with minor explanations. Most are the same financial stuff we've heard before in the quarterly call.

Talking about the interesting slide. 50% increase in HD capacity with the new satellite. And continued leadership in sports by far.

"Vastly Improved" UI released next year.
    Home Media service next year to connect all devices in the home.

50% of their subs use interactive apps during sports.

CEO Chase is leaving July 1st. They are currently setting up a committee to look for a new CEO. Chase will remain on the board after he leaves.

PDF presentation done.

Now talking up the 15 yr anniversary.

Now up to Q&A.

Question on Chase leaving.

Question on the Liberty merger. FCC wanting to make a more expedited merger. Biggest holdup will be the IRS. Hoping to have the deal done 3rd quarter or 4th quarter.

Just stock talk right now.

Q: on AT&T relationship.
    A: Started that in 1st quarter and AT&T said it was the best launch they have had so they are very positive on it.
    AT&T will sell DirecTV even in Uverse territories. FIOS won't do this.

[FYI in my local AT&T store they actually promote both Uverse and DirecTV equally.]

Q: How are demos compared to cable and Dish
    A: Income is definately higher in households.

Q: How many people take DirecTV
    A: Won't get into details but they have said they had around 2 million ST subs.
    But the key thing is it adds to their brand and enhances their sports leadership.

Q: Is sports leadership sustainable?
    A: Most defiantly. Just look at the Wimbleton and US Open mix channels and such. Nobody else does it.

Q: John Malone was quoted that even if we could sell it would be a couple years from now. So do the telcos have interest in buying a sat company?

A: Certainly we are aligned with telcos and they are interested. There is a tax risk burden that a telco would take on right now with the merger so soon.

[ARGGGG, lost my connection...just came back up. Missed a minute or so]

Biggest issue is regulatory issues with a telco merger with the uncertainties with a new administration.

And that's it, it's over!

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This may be the most intriguing. Is this an overhaul or will TiVo once again be the interface going forward?

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    No, they are talking about a new DIRECTV UI for all receivers. This has nothing to do with whether or not TiVo-based software ever gets released for DIRECTV DVRs.

10. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Ok, some cool stuff in there. I think the biggest new thing was the talk of the "vastly improved" new UI coming in 2010. No details though. We've heard rumors of a new UI, even an HD one and this I think is our first official confirmation of something.

Confirming some other things we knew:
    1) MRV in 2nd half 2009
    2) New sat going up, 200 HD channel capacity in 1st half 2010 with that new sat (no mention of channels or anything so don't ask)

Also stated was "media server" in 2010. I find this interesting in that in the past they have talked about the whole house DVR but this sounds different or maybe it's the new name for it. Or perhaps they will look at greatly enhancing what we have now with media share, the DirecTV 2 PC app, TV apps and so forth into a integrated media server experience. We'll see.

11. JoweezNutz

JoweezNutz Cool Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Thank you for taking the time to do this.

12. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Oh, and no mention of Tivo at all, once again, so no details there.

13. jpx5

jpx5 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    Central New...
    Thank you bonscott87, that was informative.

14. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I dont get it ,our local verizon fios store gives you the option of getting directv if you want instead of fios tv,of course they do try to sell you the fios tv if you get the internet.

15. Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Thanks Bonscott,
    Always nice to get the thought behind each of the pretty slides.
    Informative as usual!

16. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Thank you sir. I am excited about the new UI

17. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Thanks so much Scott! You da man!

18. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Could be some Verizon stores do that but at least from the comments made in general Verizon is going to push FIOS above and beyond DirecTV. In any case he was just stating that the relationship with AT&T is the best telco partner they have, in their eyes anyway.

19. Surveyor40

Surveyor40 DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Thank you sir. Interested in the new UI.

20. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Interesting. That sounds like the sat they proposed when they tried to take the license for 97 that dish lost for failure to actually use it. Last I saw they hadn't actually been granted that license tho. 200 hd conus channels is one hell of a sat tho. 40-48 Ka transponders.

BTW the link to the presentation doesn't seem to be working anymore. Does anyone have it saved that they can share?