1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press Release: Dish Network Recovers Million Dollar Judgment

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jason Nipp, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    DISH NETWORK RECOVERS MILLION DOLLAR JUDGMENT

AGAINST FRADULENT RETAILER

Retailer Sentenced to 33 Months in Prison

Englewood, CO – August 11, 2008 - DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today announced that the company has obtained a significant financial recovery in a retailer fraud suit.

DISH Network received $1.24 million in civil restitution against former retailer Satellites & More. In the civil suit, DISH Network had alleged that Joseph Masek, by and through Satellites & More, falsified information to illegally obtain new customer account incentives.

Based on the fraud, the United States Attorney’s Office in Colorado filed criminal charges against Mr. Masek. He pled guilty to a wire fraud charge. On August 8, 2008, he was sentenced to 33 months in prison, followed by three years of probation, and was ordered to pay an additional $663,000 in restitution to DISH Network.

“DISH Network will not tolerate any forms of retailer fraud and will continue to aggressively pursue and take action against retailers and other parties engaging in fraud,” said Jeff Blum, Vice President and Associate General Counsel, DISH Network.

# # #

About DISH Network Corporation
    DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider and the leader in digital television, provides approximately 13.79 million satellite TV customers as of June 30, 2008 with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable TV providers for eight consecutive years. DISH Network also provides customers with award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP722™ HD DVR, which received the Editors’ Choice awards from both CNET and PC Magazine. In addition, subscribers enjoy access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, and a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry. DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com/aboutus or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

DISH Network Media Contact
    Parker McConachie
    press@echostar.com

2. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    A quote from one of my favorite law professors: "You can't take a judgment to the liquor store." The shareholders shouldn't be holding their pocketbooks out.

3. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    The 1 Million will help dish pay for there multi million they will soon owe Tivo in that court case.

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I see why Dish says they have over 100HD channels now!

$663,000 = $1,000,000 to them! :D

See ya
    Tony

5. kal915

kal915 Icon

May 7, 2008
    the $663,000 are extra money the guy will have to pay. So they are getting 1.24 million plus the 663,00

6. bgedney

bgedney Cool Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I like his version better...

7. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Is it so bad over there that they have to issue press releases like this now?

8. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Wow Joe was one of my best clients on the DirecTV side, hard working, nicest guy in SoCal this was a HUGE shocker! I wonder if it was really him that did it, or if it was one of his employees and he gets the blame?

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Remember "The Buck Stops Here"?

If it is your company you need to have guidelines and enforce them.

How many companies have been sued for content their employees have had displayed on the monitor?

First rule of lawsuits. Sue the Deep Pockets.

10. rigelian

rigelian AllStar

Jun 20, 2007
    The criminal fraud charge and the subsequent sentence suggests some form of personal involvement rather than passive failure to monitor the actions of employees.

11. dishlover2

dishlover2 Legend

Aug 23, 2008
    there was a dealer down the street from me in pa i wonder why they stopped selling equipment for dish network

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.