1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Preventing buildup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mhammett, Mar 6, 2013.

1. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I assume most of them are bunk, but are there any coatings or methods (other than radome\heater) to reduce the effects of rain\ice\snow build up on a dish? I know I'm not going to affect attenuation on the thousands of miles between the dish and the satellite, but looking for any sort of edge I can give my customers. I know in the microwave industry some people swear spraying PAM or RainX on the dishes helps reduce ice\snow.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While what you mention will aid in reducing the build up of rain/snow on the dish, wet, heavily saturated clouds will still cause rain/snow fade.

3. mhammett

mhammett AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    Right, hence why I said what I said.

4. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Spraying any thing on the dish only lasts about 20 minutes. The best thing is to get a heater unit and install that.

You can find them at Perfect 10 (perfect-10.tv) and maybe at Solid Signal.

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Rain-X lasts longer than anything else I have tried, weeks at least, and doesn't make the surface sticky. PAM is actually counter productive like that.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I imagine a good car polish/wax may work even better than rain-x since it is meant to go on painted surfaces as opposed to glass.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Mounting the dish where you can get to it and brush snow off is an option.

Having a super-squirter or similar device where you can shoot a stream of warm water at the dish is an option.

Having a brush on a long stick that can reach the dish is an option.

If the situation is where you regularly get snow or ice accumulations that are a problem, then a dish heater is the best option. You don't have to run it all the time, only when there is a problem.