1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price Drop?????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dhomoney, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhomoney

dhomoney Cool Member

Sep 8, 2004
    When will D* finally drop the price of the HDTivo. Hell E* is selling theirs retail for half the price of D*. I am dying to finally have HDTivo so I can get all my OTA and D* stuff recorded and then I can FF through the commercials.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you think the 921 is such a good buy grab one you will get your moneys worth and you will get DISH'S headaches too. The HD TiVo is probably a far better investment, and would be nice at a lower price but you still get what you pay for. Look at DISH they are dumping their 34" & 40" HDTV built by RCA not because they are great products but because people don't want JUNK. Dish has discontinued the 721 and 921 their only two products using Linux programming by Eldon in England ( could there be a problem supporting them?). Compare apples to apples Directv has a much better history than GLITCH laden DISH Network. :)

3. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    Just my uneducated guess/prediction:

I have a HD Hughes receiver and am just in a holding pattern until Summer 2005. Hopefully, they will then have the much anticipated satellites up delivery HD locals and more HD channels PLUS their own DVR unit.

The D* DVR looks like it might have some interesting features. Plus the added competition with TIVO should (hopefully) lower prices. TIVO will want to hold on to D*'s customer base, and should be almost giving the things away by summer, and this should hold the prices of D*'s DVR down. I would rather have the new D*DVR, but if it is too expensive, I will just pick up a TIVO

4. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    When the next gen of DirecTV DVR's come out, the HD DirecTivo's price will drop. This happens in April. The reason why the 921 is half the price is because its half the machine, and doesn't even compare to the power of a real HD DVR.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You get what you pay for, that's why the 921 is less expensive.

6. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Personally, I despise the TiVo interface, and I think that the D* TiVos are about as slow as an old 4.77Mhz IBM XT. The 721/921s have a lot of advantages over TiVo, just like the TiVos have some features that the 921/721s do not. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Also, the TiVos are based on PowerPC procs while the 721/921s are based on x86 procs. Yes, E* dropped the price on the 921 since they have discontinued it. Of course, this MAY have something to do with the fact that E* is going to start to convert their systems to MPEG4 BEFORE D* or V*. This will require ALL of their receivers to be replaced, just like D* is looking at. So why not discontinue it and get rid of the existing stock at a lower price when they should have new products in testing and ready to go. The direcTV D10 is a piece of junk compared to the Hughes boxes. That's the life of a corporation. While I wouldn't pay $1000 for a receiver, if I can get a 921 and the 40" TV for $1000, now that is something that would interest me. Sure the TVs aren't the best, but for the money they are not too bad. You get what you pay for, and when you have 4 kids, a $1000 receiver and $3000 TV is not high on the priority list. :D

7. Dec 1, 2004 #7 of 24
    Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    Yes, the 921 has been discontinued. My sources at E* tell me that the 921s they are currently selling are refurbished units that were replaced by E*. I very rarely trust a refurb unit ("once bitten, twice shy").
    Where did you get the info about them converting to MPEG4 before everyone else? Provide your source.

Why would this involve a hardware replacement, instead of a software upgrade? Again, provide your source.

8. Dec 1, 2004 #8 of 24
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    If the existing chipset has hardware Mpeg4, a software upgrade might do it, but if you are talking about software decoding Mpeg4 forget it. Requires at least a P4 at 2.8 Ghz and at least 256 meg. ram. Don't know of any receivers with that kind of hardware that is not shared.

9. Dec 1, 2004 #9 of 24
    mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    "Of course, this MAY have something to do with the fact that E* is going to start to convert their systems to MPEG4 BEFORE D* or V*"
    There is no information or press release to back this up. It may happen, but only time will tell. D* or V* could very well upgrade to MPEG 4 before E*.
    You do get what you pay for, and its quite evident at Dish. I would rather pay more to have something that actully works, and isn't just a digital VCR.

10. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    And all these problems have earned E* the nickname "Dish Notwork".

11. GoCubs

GoCubs New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    My guess is DTV will hold the price until around Super Bowl or shortly after and then make a move. I'm figuring it'll be $799.99

12. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Originally posted by me in the dish network forum:

Because MPEG4 uses a multipass decoding scheme, whereas MPEG2 is single pass. Also, all current receivers are MPEG2 hardware decoded. If they were software decoded, they definately would not have enough processing power for MPEG4. Some receivers may be new enough to take a hardware plugin, but most receivers will have to be replaced.

13. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    MPEG4 is not an upgrade. MPEG4 was never meant to be used for large screen viewing, it was meant for internet streaming where screen size is smaller and expectation of quality is lower. MPEG4 might be a way for a satellite provider to squeeze more channels in the same bandwidth, but the quality of those channels will suffer greatly.

14. ShadowEKU

ShadowEKU Legend

Jul 13, 2004
    But they are still going to do it. Digital Tier Cable is also looking into it. Its the future, unfortunately we have to deal with it or deal without

15. dhomoney

dhomoney Cool Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Actually there is some MPEG4 stuff that is really good, depends on how they do it. Oh and ShadowEKU are you an Eastern Kentucky fan?

16. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    MPEGs are compression standards. The newer standard have more efficient algorythms in order to shrink the size of the file smaller. MPEG4 introduces multi-pass, where it looks at the file more than 1 time. DiVX is an off-shoot of it. It's just like how we went from PkZip v1.0 to v2.0. A better way to compress. It's not like the difference between a JPEG and a GIF where JPEG uses lossy compression. You can have lossy compression with any MPEG if you attempt to overcompress it. And the upgrade is to the receivers. Most providers will switch to MPEG4 eventually since they will be able to pack more channels in a set amount of bandwidth.

17. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    Please quit referring to it as an "Upgrade", it is anything but. MPEG4 was not meant as a replacement for (or an "Ugrade of") MPEG2. MPEG4 was developed for a totally different application than MPEG2 was. The picture quality will be much worse with MPEG4 than it is with MPEG2. Why anyone would think that compressing the source even more will somehow make the picture quality better, is beyond me.

18. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    I am not refering to the switch to MPEG4 as an upgrade. I have stated that E* will be upgrading their receivers to support MPEG4 and replacing most since they won't be able to support it. And, do you know anything about how compression software works? PkZip was able to increase the amount of compression they were using by 20-70% when they switched from v1.x to v2.x and there was no resulting loss of files or archive integrity due to the change. MPEG4 is designed to run a compression pass, and then it runs again using a different method to try to compres other parts of the file. This is why it is called multipass. I have a DVD-DiVX ripper that can put a 4.5GB DVD on a 650MB hard drive with no loss of image quality, and this is on a computer monitor where you will notice artifacts much faster than on a TV. As the algorythmns are improved, the smaller the file size.

19. ShadowEKU

ShadowEKU Legend

Jul 13, 2004
    fan? mreh. I graduated from there.

20. mgmrick

mgmrick AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    Try buying a sd dvr from dish. Dish told 299 as I was too new of a suscriber. Dtv sells tivo dvr for 50 bucks new or old custmor.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.