1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Pricing info now available. . .

Discussion in 'XStreamHD (Closed Forum)' started by brant, Mar 14, 2010.

1. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    I was checking out the xstreamHD site today; looks like they've got pricing information up now.

There is a monthly subscription fee of $9.95, which according to their website covers the cost of the EPG, but it also requires you to have an internet connection to the receiver; so they're going to charge you for something that WMC gives you for free, and require use of your internet connection. It says the subscription fee also gives you "in-network calling" (VOIP) to other xstreamHD members. That's a HUGE selling point, right? ;)

Each "rental" will cost you about $5.00; if you sign up now, you get 5 free rentals which it says is "up to" a $25 value.

It has three OTA tuners also.

So it looks like watching just one "rental" per weekend would cost you approximately $30/mo, plus at least $400 in equipment.

I'm not seeing the benefit of this service over netflix.

2. ajtmcse

ajtmcse AllStar

Jul 22, 2007
    I am honestly amazed they got the funding to take it this far.. With HD offerings from Dish and DirecTV, it amazes me that they got someone to invest.

3. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Must have been one heck of a Power Point presntation.:D

4. sipester

sipester Mentor

Nov 9, 2006
    A lot of the TV I watch is OTA, and although I could do this for free with WMC, I would need to buy a PC for that (with 3 HD tuners). So eventually at $10 a month, a PC would pay for itself, but that would take a while. I'm somewhat considering this as a replacement to my D* service. I know I wouldn't get all the extra channels, but I'd save $70 a month.

Note that even with this service, I'd still keep Netflix and as for the HD offerings of Directv and Dish, well, I'd consider that a wash as they seem to have the same prices. I really think this is marketed towards someone like me that want's to unload the high monthly fee of D* but still have DVR service for OTA (and this is cheaper than TIVO).

5. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    or you can get something like the DTVPal DVR and pay NO monthly subscription fees, and pay less money for the unit itself.

there are cheaper alternatives for what you want to do.

And WMC offers far more options for content if you have a high speed internet connection, which you need w/ the xstreamHD anyway.

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    This idea seemed to have so much potential. The pricing just makes it not worth it at all IMO.

7. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I would think if the RVU Alliance can pull off what they're proposing it would put a dent in XStreamHD's business plans.

8. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    Basically all this is, at this point, is a PPV movie service (and an expensive one at that) and not much else. Big time pass on this one. Don't see the point.

9. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    I'm squarely in the No thanks camp on this one.

10. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I was hoping for and all you can watch monthly fee type service(say like $30 or $40) would be better than waiting on netflix or a $1 or $2 like rebox. I'd pay the $2 just not to have to drive. I might have even paid the $9.95 a month plus a $1 per movie because our redbox's are always empty.

11. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I don't see this lasting even a year. I could see paying maybe $10 - $20 a month and getting all you can watch of older movies and new ones being $2 - $3 dollars each. $5 is way too much to pay after buying the equipment and paying a monthly fee.

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    This is a new one to me but I am going to watch it roll for awhile. There are many Np Line of Sight (NLOS) folks out there who can never have Directv or DISH. Then there is the apartment & condo market for the same reason.

Maybe it will float.

Joe

13. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    doomed to fail within 6 months

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    When something takes this long to go from concept to further details... I smell vaporware.

15. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    checked website; said as of may 5, the launch date has been postponed.

something to do with compliance testing. and in the meantime, they decided to make some improvements to the remote control that it seems you'll never get anyway. ;)

16. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Unfortunately most times you are right on target. When I saw this at CES I liked it, but was unimpressed with their answers to the more technical questions. If this comes to be, it needs to be made less expensive.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt Legend

Aug 14, 2003
    Northern...
    So they still haven't launched?!!?