1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Primary TV Cost

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DeweySat, Oct 30, 2013.

1. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    My bill shows $6 for Primary TV. Anyone know what that is? Everyone has at least on TV. Why isn't that folded into the basic program cost?

The bill actually shows $6 for Primary TV and $6 for Additional TV. Then $6 is taken out as an adjustment leaving $6 on the bill. This must go back to when we had two DVR's. Now we have just one Genie and one TV. Of course we also pay the Advance Receiver cost for the Genie.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you truly have 1 TV and the genie then the bill is not correct and one of the $6 charges should be removed.

If you have 2 TVs, one connected directly to the Genie and a second TV connected to the Genie using a Client ( C31 or C41 ) or an RVU TV then the bill is correct.

Give them a call and they will fix you up one way or the other.

3. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The reason you see the charge and credit for Primary TV is that when DirecTV changed to the leasing model some taxing jurisdictions decided that sales tax on lease payments was due even if the payment is waived. By doing it the way they do they charge a lease, collect the sales tax, and then credit the lease payment back

4. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Yes, one Genie feeding one TV in the living room. We have no need for TV's in any other part of the house.

I think I confused myself by reading the invoice wrong. I was charged $6 for the primary receiver, then given a $6 credit for it. The other $6 was for the secondary receiver, which we don't have. I think things got confused in their billing department because we used to have both an HR-22 and an HR-24 feeding the TV in the living room. Two DVR's so we could have four record channels. When we got the Genie, and returned the HR-22 and HR-24, I think the secondary receiver was never removed from our bill. I will call them.

BTW, I have you beat by a year. We started with DirecTV in 1995 with that first RCA receiver. Lots of changes since then.

5. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks for the explanation. However, I still get charged $6 for a secondary receiver when I don't have one. I looked at my son's bill. We have the same situation. One Genie feeding one TV. He has the same $6 charge for the primary receiver, with a $6 credit. But he doesn't get billed another $6 for a secondary receiver. I need to call them.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yep, their commercial that used to say "it's not just TV it is DirecTV" says a lot.
    A friend of mine recently switched from the other company and she says OMG it is so complicated. She has the Genie and a client and surround sound now and a new 55" LED TV. I tell her yep, you don't just have a TV anymore you have a Computerized System.

7. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Here is the latest on my billing question. The last invoice has apparently corrected what looked like a problem. I didn't have to call them.

I am now paying $71.99 for Choice Xtra Classic (no longer available.) $10 for HD programming. $3 for whole house (for Genie), and $.51 tax for a total of $85.50. This looks right, and I am happy with the correction. Note that I have lifetime DVR service that was grandfathered in, so I don't pay for that.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You can save $1 if you change to Choice Xtra.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    but saving $1 can cost the TS to lose the DVR grandfather status.

10. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I thought about that. I compared the channel line-up this morning between the two trying to figure out the differences. My program has 210 channels whereas Choice Xtra has 205. But when I go down the lists it looks like Choice Xtra has 8 channels not included in Choice Xtra Classic which has 3 channels not included in Choice Xtra. Yet when I click on a channel box to see the description of one not included in mine, they all say they are included in present program. I guess I will do it anyway as it doesn't seem to affect the channels we watch.

11. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Whoa! Leaving it alone.

12. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend DBSTalk Club

Dec 13, 2012
    This is incorrect.