1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Prime Users, How's It Working Out?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by sledgehammer1367066128, Mar 11, 2012.

1. sledgehammer1367066128

sledgehammer1367066128 New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Is the selection worthwhile?

Streaming OK, or are their glitches?

I'm thinking about signing up but haven't pulled the pin yet.

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I love it, my subscription ends in 2 weeks, boy the year has gone by quick. And I am all set to re-subscribe for another year, I buy alot of stuff at Amazon so Prime is well worth it for me.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    It's not bad. The selection is getting better. I use Amazon a lot for buying stuff and having the streaming service included is definitely a plus. The quality isn't too bad either.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I have cut back so much on my Dish Network package that it's also cheaper for me to buy and subscribe to shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and many others with Amazon VOD.

5. sledgehammer1367066128

sledgehammer1367066128 New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    I buy some items from A, but not a lot. I'm not picky about shipping and can wait the week or so for normal processing, so Prime wouldn't really be about that.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I got prime mostly as a backup to Netflix, but for movies, prime is not nearly as well organized as Netflix. I find that I am ordering less stuff over the net and that includes Amazon. With Netflix adding 3k titles I may drop prime next time around. We'll see.

7. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Exactly! I love Amazon Home Video. I cut back on my DTv account and am buying full seasons or by show as they become availaible. In the long run its still way cheaper then paying 95$ per month just to get the few chanels I do watch.

8. CliffV

CliffV Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    There is a huge variation in the quality of the streaming apps. I watch both Netflix and Amazon Instant Video on my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BluRay player. The Amazon App sucks in comparison to the Netflix app. Fast Forward isn't usable on the Amazon app but is very usable on the Netflix app.

Amazon also doesn't have anything comparable to the Netflix "Instant Queue". The interface for searching for shows on Blu Ray players or TVs is awful. So I like to build a list of shows to watch from my PC. Amazon really needs to allow me to add Prime Instant Videos and other rented instant videos to my "Your Video Library".

I own Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping. Otherwise I wouldn't buy it for just the videos. The selection is too small. My wife have streamed more Pay-per-view Amazon instant videos than the ones that come free with Amazon Prime.

9. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Amazon Prime Video is great...as long as you get it as a 'bonus' for subscribing to Amazon Prime. I've had cases where the Network Connection Utility that checks for internet speed to determine video quality barfed on my Comcast 35Mbps connection and streamed a low res movie.

The big annoyance is the non-video fast forward and rewind. You can fast forward but with no video, you can't tell where you are. Same for rewind.

10. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    For me the Amazon Prime is a good value and the selection keeps getting better. We have had NO streaming issues with the movies. I got so tired of Netflix and the constant streaming interuptions (which had nothing to do with my internet connection or router) I finally gave up and canceled. Have not had 1 issue with Amazon. I also utilize the free 2 day shipping and Kindle book borrowing features that are included with Prime.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    My father subscribes to Amazon Prime... I remember looking a lot on Netflix for things to recommend to him when he had that, and most were not on streaming... Amazon has had most of what I wanted to recommend to him, and most of that has been on the free-with-Prime subscription.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Another level is added when you don't have to have minimum purchases. Need an ink cartridge, Amazon. I pretty much even stopped using Monoprice. I just get an Amazon Basics cable, factoring in Monoprice shipping, it's faster and cheaper through Amazon.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Amazon Instant Video isn't too bad. On my iPad the interface is pretty good however, the Watchlist needs to be improved. You can currently add non-Prime and Prime items to your Watchlist, but you can only watch the Prime items (unless you have purchased the non-Prime items via the PC). When looking at the Watchlist, the Prime and non-Prime items are interspersed among each other making it difficult to sometimes see what you can and cannot watch. On my TV, Amazon does not have a Watchlist so you need to search for anything you want to watch. At least on the TV, if it is a non-Prime video you can purchase it there.

- Merg

14. chscott

chscott Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I have been using Amazon 99% / 1% Hulu Plus via a PS3 for pay services and have a simple OTA antenna for the networks. I am going to ditch Hulu , does not pay off for what I watch. Prime has an awesome selection of TV shows. Been watching Justified, Falling Skies and some old Star Trek shows. I don't miss DirecTV at all and certainly don't miss giving them my money.

If I could change one thing about Prime, it would be to have a grid menu selection system instead of scrolling from left to right.

15. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    I just signed up for both amazon prime and netflix since getting my roku so I can make some direct comparisons. As far as websites go I prefer the layout of netflix better. However the picture quality on amazon is better and more of what I watch is in 5.1 surround on amazon whereas the same titles on netflix are sometimes only in 2 channel.
    Amazon seems to have more tv shows, especially those that are airing or haven't made it to disc yet. And i'm talking about the free stuff. And both services have things the other one doesn't so i'm happy to have both.

Hulu on the other hand is just useless.

16. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I just signed up for both amazon prime and netflix since getting my roku so I can make some direct comparisons. As far as websites go I prefer the layout of netflix better. However the picture quality on amazon is better and more of what I watch is in 5.1 surround on amazon whereas the same titles on netflix are sometimes only in 2 channel.
    Amazon seems to have more tv shows, especially those that are airing or haven't made it to disc yet. And i'm talking about the free stuff. And both services have things the other one doesn't so i'm happy to have both.

Hulu on the other hand is just useless.

You must not have netflix's 1080p super hd. In my opinion it's much better than amazons 720p.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ever try a Sammy or Sony BD player? I gave up on the Pannys a couple years ago. Been wondering if they got their streaming fixed.

Rich

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I get 1080p on Amazon.

Rich

19. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I get 1080p on Amazon.

Rich

I'd swear I read prime streaming was 720p. I'm probably wrong.

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    i decided to keep Amazon prime, it's a good backup for Netflix -- they kinda fill each other's content holes, and I abso-freakin-lutely love Roku's new 'global search' feature. It's the kibbles 'n bits app for finding movies, whether by title, actor or director.

On a related note, I have a couple who are big gamers, having more than one platform with which they also streamed Netflix shows. I convinced them to get Roku and they love it, saying it's much easier and simpler to use and they are 'blown away' by the number of choices (channels) on Roku.

For a one time only cost of less than (not then) a hundred bucks, it is, without question, the deal of the decade and the best way to go for streaming content.