1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem installing a 3rd receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by nyguy4u, Oct 23, 2009.

1. nyguy4u

nyguy4u New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Hello all, hoping someone can help me.
    I currently have a HD DVR in my living room, and a standard receiver in my bedroom. We just built an addition to our house, and I ordered a HD box for that room, and received a H20. I get great signal strength, but when I go through the set up, I'm getting an error.

Error states "Satellite 103 (a) : Failed"

When I click on the error, it states "Your dish type is set to Slimline 3 LMBs, but the receiver detected 0 satelite". I have a Slimline receiver though!

Everything else passes. So, I figured I'd skip the error anyways and continue, and fix later - well that doesn't work, because when I get to the "receiving satelite information", it stays on 0%

HELP!! :(

2. nyguy4u

nyguy4u New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    just to add.. I connected it to other rooms of my house to eliminate that it's the wiring to my new room, and it still doesn't work - yet other boxes do.

3. Extreme2KEclipse

Extreme2KEclipse Legend

May 28, 2007
    Theres two options for the Slimline Dish, 3LNB and 5LNB, have you tried the 5LNB Option?

4. nyguy4u

nyguy4u New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    yup, tried both. 103 (a) still fails the test. Still went on to continue without fixing, and it stays on 0%

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You might try forcing a software update. If the H20 hasn't been used for a few years, it may not have firmware that knows about the Ka band dishes.

Do a search here for "force update".

6. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Just do a menu restart of the box, as soon as the blue lights come back on...hit 0 2 4 6 8 on the number pad.

7. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Did you connect the BBC?

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If that were indeed true (ancient firmware), it wouldn't know about 103(a), or even mention the Slimline 3 in the OPs error message.

Try again.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Without the BBC connected 99 and 103 would fail on all not just the 103(a)

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Go to another ird and post what your signal strengths are for the 103. It could be your dish needs an alignment and the signal strength is too low to pass the test.

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Looks like for the most part you've covered the basics of troubleshooting.

You've tried the "questionable" box at known good locations and have gotten nothing.

Have you tried a different box in the new location to confirm the line is active?

If it is, odds are they shipped you a bad box. Is it a -600 by chance?

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What you say makes a lot of sense, but it isn't working so aside from telling the OP that the receiver is junk, we're all grasping at straws.

13. nyguy4u

nyguy4u New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Just to eliminate it isn't the line ran to the room, I took my standard box out of my old bedroom, and hooked it up to the room where I'm trying to get the HD box to work - and it does work.

So, it's definiately the box. Every other box works perfectly in my house, so it can't be the dish itself.

So, some people are saying to reset the box, and some are saying I shouldn't?

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    My vote is to have them get you another box. :)

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    But what do you know? You only do this for a living. :lol:

16. JB292

JB292 AllStar

Apr 24, 2009
    It sounds like it isn't passing the verification test. The software prevents activation with questionable signal strengths. Have you asked the CS rep to bypass the test, and continue ? I'm not sure whether a normal rep can even do that. But I know ISS can.

Edit: Could you post the signal strengths from a working receiver for 103?

17. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    You're really grasping for straws since you have a DISH NETWORK system. That's pretty clear by the straw you supplied....LMFAO

18. wcalifas254

wcalifas254 Mentor

Sep 23, 2007
    Like some of the earlier posts, the question is, do you have a bbc converter on that receiver that doesn't get the 103(A) sat? If you don't have a bbc converter on it, then it won't convert the signals from that satellite. Do you have one of those hooked up to that receiver?