1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem setting up slimline SL-3

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by feeder22, Feb 29, 2012.

1. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    I have a portable slimline with an SL-3 lnb on a tripod for my motorhome. I purshased an Acutrac III plus to use to set up butam having a problem on how exactly to use this meter. I have called several places and get all different answers on what to do. I'm just a dumb truck driver and would like to know in plain english on what to do. HELP

2. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Do you have the manual? you google for acutrac III manual and get adown load.

Go into the acurtrac menu, selet DTV mode, then select attenuate, this will step the meter for DTV signals and at the bottom of the screen it will show you which bird(S) are selected, (ka99/ku101).

Now you just use your compass and aim to the southeast to 101 and adjust for the highest reading.

3. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    I do have the manual and can get the asmuth and elevation set through the receiver, but wheredo I look at to set the tilt?

4. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Are we talking SWM or std LNB here? If SWM do you have the DirecTV ASL unit? You need that and the power supply for SWM. Oh, and if you have SWM you have to disconnect the receiver from the setup while you are doing your aiming. The meter will not work correctly with it connected. I have the Accutrac 22 Pro II and have no problems with my RV setup.

5. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Your easiest way to get all your numbers is the Satellite Finder website. Just be sure you have the satellite set to Directv 101.

6. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    I have the SL-3 lnb and the ASL unit is unavailable to get. Is the Acutrac 22 easier to use and we are talking SWM.

7. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    I may have been in error. The last time I read about Accutrac meters they all required the ASL unit. I just looked at one of the online suppliers and it looks like the Accutrac III does not need the ASL. (For your info, the ASL unit is available from a number of suppliers. The unavailability is just a rumor.)

On edit; the manual says nothing about doing SWM which one site said it did. So, I am back to my ASL message since this is needed as much for injecting the 19 volt power needed to activate the SWM head. Your meter cannot do that. You can find an ASL here.

And while you probably have the manual for the Accutrac III, you can find a copy here in case you don't. Now, I don't know if there is a difference between the Accutrac III and the Accutrac III Pro.

8. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks for the info on ASL-1. I got one ordered and hope it works. I will get back to you when I receive it.

9. Mar 1, 2012 #9 of 20
    cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    There are several ways that you can get the dish settings.
    1) At home, go into the sat settings screen and enter your zip ans dish type, as you enter them you will see the settings for the dish alignment.
    2) you can go dishpointer.com, enter your zip code and again the dish type, this will give you the settings.

Now, using your readings for home, when you go on the road, set up dish the exect same way, then, if you traveled east from home, move the dish right JUST A HAIR AT A TIME, waiting a minute between adjustments and do only one movement at a time.

After you have obtained a lock, write these settings down for that location.
    As a rule, you can travel about 200 miles in any direction and only have to move your settings by less then a couple of degrees from your base settings.

Go to dishpointer.com enter your location and then select the DTV 101 satellite click go and get your settings.

EXAMPLE: My Home in Tacoma Wa--az=135.5 mag elv=31.8 tilt= -18.7, Spokane--
    az=142.8 elev=32.9 tilt= -14.5 Eugene Or az=133.8 elv 34.6 tilt= -21.2
    Umatila Or az=139.6 elv=34.1 tilt= -16.9

As you can see, there is not a lot of change and if I draw a line from my house to any of these locations, I am only about 230 miles stright line.

10. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Received my ASL-1 today and got locked on the 101 with no problem. However no mater how much I changed the tilt there was none of the graphs on the meter that would show any reading change what so ever. Any Ideas???

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Im not up on the graphs, since I dont use a meter, but 101 is centered, and the polarity is circular, so you could spin it upside down and nothing would change. You need to switch to 99 or 103 to set the tilt after zeroing in on 101.

12. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    The tilt readings are designed to be adjusted with an SL5 LNB. As long as your mast is plumb, and your ODU settings are correct, your tilt should be well within range for the 99 and 103. They don't usually require tilt adjustment, you'd have to be pretty far off for it to make a difference there.

13. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Unfortunately, the ASL-1 is setup to work with the 101 and 119 satellites. You only have 99, 101 and 103 with the SWM-3. But, I agree with ndole, just set the tilt to whatever your receiver or DishPointer says it should be and call it good. For the 3 LNB setup this seems to work just fine. There was a whole thread debating the necessity to align the tilt for the 3-LNB setup and it seemed like the majority said things would work just fine with the rough setting. After all, the dithering adjustments are only for the azimuth and elevation which are the critical adjustments.

14. feeder22

feeder22 New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    I really appreciate everyones feedback, It has been a big help. Just one more question for now, how far from my home zip code can I pick up my local chanels?

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It all depends on the spot beams for your area.

16. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Probably no more than 100 miles. Maybe 200 miles if you're lucky. Really depends on where you are and the specific satellite spotbeam coverage.

17. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    The OP's profile shows Idaho. I doubt spot beams for that area go very far. Your estimate of 100 miles would seem most reasonable (and optimistic) here.

18. ds2992

ds2992 Mentor

Feb 8, 2012
    call cx service and add the national locals feeds. about 2 dollars a channel. you can get either la or new york.

19. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No you can't......

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As to national networks, as a truck driver (if you are long haul), or as an RV'r, there are accounts you can set up that do permit you to sign up for national network feeds. Whether or not you are allowed east coast or west coast depends on several factors including where your home base is. Given you are from Idaho, you would probably only be permitted west coast feeds. Plus, this is a whole second account (not just an additional receiver), and takes some paperwork and justification to accomplish. There is also an additional fee (on top of the account cost) for each national network feed.

An option might be to get an AM21 off-air receiver which you could set up for OTA locals wherever you are located (if you are too far away from your home location for your spot beam). That would mean you would have to be within antenna range of a tv station, and then set up the AM21 with the applicable zip code. The AM21 works with an H or HR series receiver, not all by itself.